Pooping Question :)

Moderator: Mods

bali727

Pooping Question :)

Post by bali727 »

I have not ever had a ringneck, and i REALLY want one, my mom is worried about the pooping thing, so how much do they poop, or how often. shes just worried about it pooping on the floor when im playing with it, so please answer this question. it will be a great help :) thanks. :D :D

-Lucas
smallworld

Re: Pooping Question :)

Post by smallworld »

hahaha :lol: OH they're pretty shitty :wink:

It would be safe to say, that most birds do it on average of 15 minutes. Our Echo gets distracted when we're training him and or he's looking out the window and then its about every half and hour.

A vet once told me, that its safe to say that due to their short digestive tracks most birds on average, deliver their packages every 10 to 15 minutes. :D
bali727

Post by bali727 »

thaks so much for answering haha, my mom wont like it haha but oh welll
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

haha...what an interesting question!

They do poo often but I place an old sheet or towel on the floor for easy cleanup. :)
bali727

Post by bali727 »

ah and my mom once again critiques me...

so said we are not able to get one because we have a Golden Retriever(a bird dog) and that the bird and the dog will be miserable. the bird will be terrified of the dog and the dog will be aching to kill(or catch) the bird.

so would having a dog really matter, wont they get used to each other? after a while?

please reply and thats about it :)

-Lucas
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

HI Lucas :D

Well you could show your mom some videos on youtube to convince her, that in the long run n with training, they will get used to each other. I've seen quite a few videos there. Though no matter how used they're to each other, you'd not want to leave them alone. What the dog considers playful can be deadly to the bird.
:D
bali727

Post by bali727 »

:) okay ill try and show her some vids on youtube, though shell prolly say like, i gotta go to the store show me later or something.. hope i get one :(

anyways thanks for the help.

oh she throws another question at me right away!
haha here it is
"so what happens when your at school all day, then you get back and your swamped with homework? and you have rugby practice, what will happen then?"
me-" ill still do it, just dont know when the birdiee will go to sleep."
"STILL- you wont have enough time for the bird."

so will i have enough time for the bird? cause i got school then rubgy 2 times a week. weekends are pretty much free.. so..think i got the time? haha thanks again.

-Lucas :)
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hmm..I always say that birds need constant attention. So if you're slumped with homework, it would be a problem. But say, you could schedule in an hour or two of training at a specific time everyday, then its ok. But when you're doing your homework or something, he should be in his cage next to you. So that he sees you and does not long for your attention.
You dont want him waiting in his cage for you and you dont show up. Because that leaves an angry beasty bird :wink:

Out of cage time, food and family time should be constant too. Because the bird will regard its new family as the flock. In the wild, they spend almost their whole day with the flock. Dont worry, its not that bad. As long as you keep a few hours a day, where you really spend time with him, its good. Otherwise, you might not be able to train him too.

Birds should sleep anywhere from 11 to 14 hours a day. This does not include their little after lunch 'cat naps'. Its normal. If you can, the night sleep should follow the natural sunlight. Why?Because, the natural sunlight determines the internal clocks for these birds. So they get an idea of when spring comes and when breeding season is coming. This is important. If you have to cover the cage, then cover it when the sun goes down n its getting dark and lift it at about 7 am. Food should be provided, when you lift it :wink:

Its not easy Lucas but its not impossible either. I wouldnt advise you to take it, if you and your mother think, time would be a problem, ok? If your time is good, then I'm sure it'll be ok for the bird.
bali727

Post by bali727 »

thanks so much for the help :)

1-2 hours a day, really is nothing.. compared to how much xbox and tv i used to watch and play haha :)

so in cali it gets dark round, 7:30 so cover it up with a towel or two say nite nite. round 7? ( would it be okay f i woke the lil birdie up at 6:30?) and provide seed/fruit and vegies as soon as he/she wakes up. then play with the lil guy for 45 mins or so. say bye bye go to school come back and take cage next to me while to hw and so forth? and repeat? haha

hope i got it right haha :)
thanks SO MUCH.

again thanks :)
-Lucas
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Put him/her to bed a half hour earlier or so. Well you shouldn't have to wake him up, he'll be awake. If he's sleeping, then he needs rest. But most of the time, they're very light sleepers and can sense movement near their cage. I didn't mean spending 1 or 2 hours with him in a day. I meant, training him for that much in a day. You should spend more time with him. He should get his out of cage time etc, so he can walk about the room snooping around. But you've to be careful windows are closed and what gets into that beak. Fruits and veggies with a table spoon of seeds a day is good. Also when you figure out what his favorite food is, then you should keep it as a training treat. Apples can do wonders. Try to position the cage where he gets maximum view of you. So you wouldn't have to move it around. The first few days or weeks, moving it around would be very stressful. Its important that once you build the relationship with him, that its a stable one.

I hope you wouldnt buy him because you're really interested in him and then lose interest when he is boring. IRNs are stubborn. They're bold and loud too. You better read through this forum and the website to see the negative aspects as well. So that you're sure its the right bird for you. Also when you're away at school, he needs to have plenty of toys to keep him company. Make sure a girlfriend doesn't steal your time and he gets less :wink:
bali727

Post by bali727 »

well i knew i wouldnt just say,"oh! 2 hours are up! time to go nite nite" haha
any ways, thanks so much for all of your help, ill try and find the "pros cons of IRNs" if they have that section on this site. :)

Okay well would the cage right in front of my bed do okay, since i mosty do HW in here?

anyways :) THANKS SO MUCH for all of your answers to my questions, ill look around some more and make sure this is the bird i want, and if i should even get one.

thanks again
and one more question. (mine not my moms) haha

during the summer, i am going away on a trip to connecticut for 3.5 weeks. are IRNs able to fly on planes. cause i dont know whether i should bring him on the plane with me in a traveling case or something, or if i should leave him/her at a avian daycare for the whole month, or put him/her in the animal section of the plane. we will be taking thered eye flight if that helps at all. haha thanks again

-Lucas :D
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

No i personally dont think its wrong to fly with your bird. An avian daycare is a good idea, but then again for a whole month? Hmm.. but what about the 3.5 weeks, would he have a cage or a transport box? The summer will be here in 3 or 4 months and he would've just gotten used to you and then all that change might not be all that good. I cant say for sure. Perhaps, it would be better for you to get one after your trip. That entirely depends on you. For a bird stability (in the environment) is generally their best friend.

Yeah I'm sure near your bed is fine but make sure its dark enough when he sleeps. Also we both have kept saying 'he'. I should tell you that IRNs are sexually dimorphic only after the age of 2 or so. Thats usually around when the males start getting the ring. Before that, the immature birds tend to take on the coloring of the female (if wild colored). The only way to know for 100% if your bird is male or female is a DNA test.

You could look up the diet section and the behavior section to see, all the problems people have been dealing with. This will give you a good all round idea. You may have to read alot of posts but you'd become very knowledgeable about IRNs.

Dont worry about thanking me Lucas, just dont make the wrong decision ok? Its a commitment and you got to follow through with it. This bird can live a really really long time if kept well :)
bali727

Post by bali727 »

OK here i go haha

IF i do get a bird and IF i choose to bring him on out trip to CT i will bring him in a traveling case, and have his real cage in my suitcase or in the cargo section of the plane. okay the bed thing is cool, should work out fine. and 1 more question before i go to sleep haha :)
how big should the cage be. i have heard buy as big as you can afford. right now i have $450. im guessing 50-100 for the birdie and maybe 350-400 for the cage? i dont know how big of a cage that will buy but do you think you can tell me some specific cage demonsions? because i think i can get a 25x25x30 cage for a reasonable price. is that an okay cage/ bigger? smaller? haha

ill check out the diet and behavior section and see what the pros and cons are.

thanks again( i have to say it haha)

-Lucas
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Take a look at the photo forum. There are couple of good posts there with some pictures. A higher cage is good. A round cage is not that well suited. Are your dimensions in inches or centimeters? The bigger the cage the better.

Also dont spend all the money you have on the cage. You will need toys too :wink: Before you go out and buy one from a breeder, maybe you should consider adopting one. I used to know someone in New York (or maybe somewhere on the east coast of the US) who runs this big rescue center for birds. She has had alot of experience with these kinda things and might be able to help you, if I can find her webpage or contact number. She might have cages too, I dont know.

I've got to go off right now, so check back here tomorrow. If I do find her, I'll post it here. She has had over 30 years with rescue experiences and will be able to give you more sound advise on bird, as compared to me. Also she lives in the US and will know pricing and travelling rules better. I'm in the Europe.

take care
bali727

Post by bali727 »

thanks again so much, ive gotta get off too >.< haha

ill look around for EVERYTHING that has info on it haha

thanks again, youve beenALOT of help haha :)

thanks so much

-Lucas

night :)
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Lucas her website is newyorkbirds.net. It takes awhile before the moderator approves your membership for the forum. Her name is Beatriz Cazeneuve and she is active all over that forum. Thats her username as well. So maybe you can slip her a pm and she'd reply.
They have fantastic bird recipes for food, that are really healthy and alot of first aid tips on that website as well. its pretty comprehensive. Check it out. I'm sure she can even hook you up with a rescue near your place.

I sent her an email about you, though I'm not sure the address is still valid. If she replies I'll let you know. At least then, you wouldnt be wasting your savings buying a bird from a breeder. You'd be able to rescue one. I'll post here if I hear anything.

have a good one 8)
bali727

Post by bali727 »

Thanks for sending an email :)

ill look in on this forum once or twice a day and see if you replied :)

ill go to the site right now and see if i get the membership.

THANKS AGAIN :)

-Lucas
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hey Lucas, I'm sorry, there's no reply so far. It could be that the email is invalid or something. You might have more luck trying to contact her on their forum.

Are there any rescue centers near your place? Dont worry so much about getting a baby. They're babies till the end anyway 8) I think with parrots its not so much like dogs. There's that English saying 'you cant teach an old dog new tricks' and people always tend to buy puppies, but with birds, they adapt really well and can learn really fast.

Whats your mom saying anyway? :wink:
bali727

Post by bali727 »

My mom doesn't really want a bird. :(

she says that I am not responsible enough, and that I won't take care of it. She also still thinks that the dog won't get along with the bird. I tried to show her a YouTube video but she said that our dog is different then every other dog, because whenever he sees a bird in the back yard he goes crazy.( i think all dogs are like that)

Well I checked out if there were any rescue centers around, and there's not any around for more then 80 Miles :-/ I'll keep checking in on that rescue center though.

Although my mom doesn't think that our family is a 'bird' family, MAYBE I can soften her up. But she's hard to convince, any ideas to help convince her haha :)

anyways, if I can't find a rescue center I found a breeder breeder about 10 minutes from my house that breeds many mutations of IRNs, I'm thinking about getting a Cinnamon Turquoise, or a plain green one. ;)

thanks again
I'll keep you posted.

-Lucas
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

If you are really serious about wanting a bird AND the responsibility that go with it, why not donate part of your time to help out at the rescue centre or ask a breeder if you could do odd jobs looking after the birds for them.
If you explain to them that you would love to own a bird and very interested in learning BEFORE you get a bird, you would also see if you do have the time to spend with another pet, might just work in your favour.
That way, you are showing your mum you are responsible, you are gaining experience into the work and effort into owning a bird, gaining knowledge in correct caring for the birds needs, and will find out if a bird with all the responsibilities is for you. :)
Plus it might help your bird 'fix' until you are ready or able to own one. Besides, you would be doing the rescue centre a huge favour as well as the animals that live there.

Just a thought. :)
bali727

Post by bali727 »

Okay, I'll see if there is a close breeder, because the rescue center is about 80 miles away haha :)

and thanks fit the advice, I'll try it out. I'll call the breeder and see if he needs the extra help:)

I'll try and do AS MUCH research as I can.

Thanks for all of the help :D

-Lucas
(pinkdevil and Smallworld should become mods haha :) )
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Hey Lucas,
I think the advise pinkdevil gave you is PERFECT. Dont be too worried if you cant get to own a ringneck now. I've always wanted to have a marine aquarium with seahorses. Its a dream but I know one day I'll be able to get one and when that day comes I'd be really very happy :D so its not so bad to wait a little bit and build up the anticipation :wink: Who knows one day, you might be able to start your own rescue center for ringnecks out in Cali huh :wink:

take care now
bali727

Post by bali727 »

Okay. Thanks for ALL of the advice. I'll try and see if I can voulentert at the breeders house. Couple of times. I'll even try to go to the rescue center. But I asked my mom if maybe I could help the breeder, and she doesn't even want me to go there. I guess I'll have to soften her up ALOT!

Thanks again. And maybe I can open up a rescue center! In a about 3 years, when I move out. Haha :) and good luck with the sea horses! Have funnnnnaaaayyyy ;)

-Lucas
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Well good luck with the volunteering. Maybe your mom is a little scared to let you go so far to a strangers house. Thats good reason to be apprehensive. Whatever you decide to do, keep safe and let us know how its going :)