Which uses more energy - walking or flying?

Moderator: Mods

laine

Which uses more energy - walking or flying?

Post by laine »

Does anyone know if a bird uses more energy flying or walking?
The reason I ask is I have a long hallway leading from the front to the back of the house. Most times Smokey will fly after me but sometimes it amazes me that he will choose to waddle all the way. Wouldn't it be quicker to fly? I notice some mornings he will walk if he is still a bit sleepy, but I think it would be harder than flying.
What do you think?
pinkdevil

Re: Which uses more energy - walking or flying?

Post by pinkdevil »

Hahaha...interesting.

I have no idea but am guessing flying would use more energy, just get there faster.
Maybe Smokey enjoys a leisurely morning walk to his mummy sometimes. :D
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

I'm going with flying! :P Because when they fly their entire group of chest muscles, wings, back, tail n even head is engaged toward propelling them in the right direction. So based on the amount of muscle in use in flying as compared to walking, I'd say it uses more energy.

Plus the vets always told us to move them to a smaller cage so they dont move around too much when they are sick.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: haha I often wonder the same thing! Im forever saying to Jibby "you have wings, use em!" I swear my Jibby is the laziest bird ever! When he was a baby (under 2 years) we lived in a 2 story and he'd would climb.. yes climb.. up the stairs.. and down. Now hes 10 years old this year, and he will avoid flying most of the time, unless Lola is insisting on flying races, which puffs him out after a while, Lola's definately got more stamina than he does. He climbs down the curtains to his cage, rather than flying. He also has a habit of waiting for me to pick him up from where ever he is. I would say flying!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year