do ringnecks feel the cold?

Moderator: Mods

selma

do ringnecks feel the cold?

Post by selma »

I was just wondering if these birds feel the cold and how do you know if they're getting cold or hot? What's the right room temperature for them to sleep in?
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

YES! Good Guestion! Not only that, it takes only a SMALL draft to make an Irn, or any other bird for that matter, very sick or even kill it. You MUST do the candle test by your birds cage. If the candle flickers.... NO GOOD.

Many birds have died from being left on the lania and the temperature dropping rapidly over 10-15 degrees and that kind of quick drop will kill a bird, easily.
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Indian Ringnecks are from a warmer climate so they do feel the cold more than other birds. I think something like 5 degrees C is when they start feeling bad. I dunno this is just what I've heard. Aviary birds put up with alot worse conditions so dont be too worried about your bird, I think you'd be more uncomfortable than the bird if it was that cold, just keep it out of the wind
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I reinterate... Keep your baby from air/heat vents and do the candle flicker test by the cage. THIS CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH. Drafts can and HAVE been deadly, if not convinced, please research it. Tons will come up on this topic.

Drafts are moving air which causes the cage to be a different temp in one place than another. Since birds cannot withstand a 10-15 F drop drop in temps, your bird can get very sick and even die. This is where diet comes in. If a bird is receiving an adequate diet, he or she can warm themselves much easier.

Birds in the wild tolerate more diverse conditions as well, these arent wild birds. ALL warm climate birds should be kept between 65 and 80 degrees 'F' to be comfortable (or in some cases, to remain alive if the change in temp. is for an extended time. We dont have wild birds, capable of withstanding extreme changes because we have tamed them and stripped them of their natural resources.

It takes literally a few months for a bird to acclimate to temps lower that 60. I live in Florida so this isnt a biggie but if you live up north and forget to turn the heat up before going out for the night. BIG PROBLEMS.

Here is some research I did I. I hope it helps. I tend to be very cold natured so this was always an issue with me.

Ideal Temp. and cage placement for pet birds.

http://www.cockatielcottage.net/questio ... question26

This happens to be on a page concerning cockatiels but the same applies. The article is actually about ALL warm weather birds, not just the 'Tiel.
~ Mikaela Sky

selma

Post by selma »

thanks mikaela and neo. the reason i asked is because we decided to move the cage from the living room to another room next to our bedroom. Unfortunately the temp in that room can only be controlled from the bedroom and since we always have the AC on high i was a bit worried. We have since returned the cage to the living room because bibou was screaming non stop for 2 hours this morning and we assumed it was because we moved his cage. just as well cos he would for sure have felt the cold then.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You are most welcome Selma. Good advice is priceless. Huh?

LOVE this board!
~ Mikaela Sky

Melika

Post by Melika »

We just dropped to 66 degrees F *shivers* and I'M cold. Mikaela is right, drafts are the gratest danger.

Hane's cage is in line with my bedroom vent so at night I cover the top and front where he sleeps to keep the breeze off him. If I forget I'll wake up to a little puffball glaring at me. :roll: It's not severe enough to kill him, but I want him to be comfortable. During the day he gets the radient heat through my windows (old homes aren't so insulated) and the sun shining through. ^^

Even in FL (I'm there too) cold can be an issue because when it does get cold, it does so very quickly. I lose four lovebirds last winter when I was out of town and no one brought them in. Even though they were covered it was way too cold for them.

We're cranking on the heat tonight, so the birds are downstairs up late since the heating coils will be burning off the dust.

Remember that in winter the humidity drops. Use a humidifier, or house plants to help boost indoor humidity. Heaters suck the humidity from your air as well. We notice a dramitic difference when the heater comes on, though my fish tank helps keep the humidity in my room up.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ScarletKnight

my arrangement

Post by ScarletKnight »

my bird is alwasy covered at night in the winter. i think the birds should be kept above 66 degree 70 to be safe. I used to live in india where these birds aer common place and ti got as low as 60 degrees and we covered all the birds but as far as drafts goes it all depends on ure cage situation as long as the bird is not in direct contact with the wind ure fine. irn are very hardy birds so they can cope with alot besides the a draft comstly cold wind warm or hot wind is okey as long as it is not cooking temp. use your self as a guide if u feel a chill it cold for the bird if u sweat it hard for the bird. ciao
scarlet
***Disclaimer*** the statement above is opinion expressed soley for the purpose of providing educational and guidance to its reader. It does not by any implied meaning offend disrespect anymore. Your understanding is appreciated***
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Most of us (alot of Floridians on the board) have to turn our A/C on to get it to 70. We had a cold snap last week and it got into the 60's at night. I didnt move to Florida to wear jackets. :evil:
~ Mikaela Sky

ScarletKnight

lol

Post by ScarletKnight »

but as i recall you wear a poop shirt right!!!! just messing im from up north so thats y i made the comment.
scarlet
***Disclaimer*** the statement above is opinion expressed soley for the purpose of providing educational and guidance to its reader. It does not by any implied meaning offend disrespect anymore. Your understanding is appreciated***
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Not anymore, she got her a Gucci messenger bag type carrier so she thinks she is all of that and then some. She is so materialistic :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

julie

Post by julie »

this one nance
fiona

Post by fiona »

Selma, I have many reptiles and they are mostly in one room. I too cannot control the temp very well. Reptils are far more sensitive to temp conditions. I got a little space heater with a thermastat on it and keep the room at 80 degrees. It's a small room so it works really well.
Ed Loschi

Every warm blooded animal feels the cold.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Every warm blooded animal feels the cold and they have really good metabolic, circulatory, and behavioral adaptations to protect themselves from harm due to cold.

This subject got covered on this board recently, here is the reference to that first inquiry:

Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:34 pm Post subject: Help a new ringneck lover, please?

Long ago, when I first got interested in having a pet bird I asked around and the general consensus among a wide range of long term bird owners was that--All birds are wild.

I think that is a helpful way to understand fids.
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I disagree, Pet birds no longer have the training and instincts to survive in the wild therefor they are not wild. This may not be true specifically for the temperature, but it is true for survival skills.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Agreed
julie

Post by julie »

if indie got out he would more likely than not go to a person eating than try to get something for himself some poor person would be walking down the street and end up with him sitting on their shoulder.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

you tame em you claim em ..

(you tame them, be prepared to take responsibility for a no longer wild bird) isn't that the saying :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless