No Bananas?

Moderator: Mods

HeatherG

No Bananas?

Post by HeatherG »

The breeder I bought my bird from said he should not have bananas. I have actually seen bananas on the "good" lists for Ringnecks. I'm very confused now. Can anyone weigh in on this for me?

Thanks!

Heather
Shane7285

Re: No Bananas?

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Heather

If you have a look at the thread at the top of the page, it says what to feed your FID, if you look at the fruit, it shows banana as something to feed them. Not sure why you couldn't feed them banana, but I suppose everyone has a different view. I was told to never feed my guy nuts.

Regards

Shane
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

For a fruit bananas have a high fat content, maybe he was just worried that you bird would get overweight.
HeatherG

Post by HeatherG »

I thought I said that I saw bananas on the "good" list. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

That's a good point, Sheena.

I guess there is a lot of disinformation out there. I can't find any other negative information about bananas, so I guess I'll just have to go back to the breeder and find out why.

Thanks for weighing in.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Mine has the occasional piece of Banana.Really love it !!!
Actually,when I was hand rearing him I mixed a small amout of banana in his formula to give him a taste of different things.Hes quite fit an healthy--so didnt do him any harm.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Bananas are fine. Like anything, in moderation. One of my lolas favourite fruit is bananas, she goes bananas over bananas hehe. Jibby has never ever liked banana in his 9 years of life.. but changed his mind few months ago. :shock:

The only things I definately would not feed them are avocado, chocolate, anything with caffiene, alcohol/tobacco < the obvious ones, apple seeds (or if ever unsure, any fruit seed!).
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
SkyesMom

Post by SkyesMom »

Why no fruit seeds, just out of curiosity?
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Many fruit seeds have traces of cyanide... peaches especially
SkyesMom

Post by SkyesMom »

Ah. I see. I knew not to feed Skye peach pits and all that but just figured if I couldn't eat it, neither should she. Thank you for the response. :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Can someone tell me if paw paw seeds are ok for them to eat? I have been giving them to our birds occasionally and they seem to like them.

Ellie.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

I couldn't say for paw paw seeds but fruit seeds/pips/pits generally are avoided... better to be safe than sorry but of course wait for a second opinion!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Bananas are a fruit, therefore mostly sugar. That isn't to say it is bad for a parrot, but like Lauren said should be fed in moderation. Fruits are like a treat.

ellieelectrons wrote:Can someone tell me if paw paw seeds are ok for them to eat? I have been giving them to our birds occasionally and they seem to like them.

Ellie.
PawPaw seeds are considered to be toxic (also seem to have some contraceptive properties). Though they are being studied for medicinal uses as well.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay