My New IRN and her housing arrangements

Moderator: Mods

Roxxy

My New IRN and her housing arrangements

Post by Roxxy »

Hi from a new member. Not sure if it's okay to revive an old post instead of posting new but will take the chance, I was reading the following topic
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=6989 and noticed some of the homes that the various birds are housed in.

I have a large cage that I used to keep my Lorrikeet in but is now empty and not being used. It appears to be similar to a few I have seen here on this thread as far as bar spacing (approx 2.4cms). I am keen to use this cage as an outside home for my Ringneck to spend sometime outside on nice days in our covered patio area.

I have read from some people that the spacing is too wide for a IRN, yet the owner of the Bird Specific Pet Store said it would be fine, he said anything larger than that maybe not so, but 2.4cms was okay.

My bird has been with us only 2 weeks, and is in a smaller cage during sleep time and perches on top when I am supervising her (I have cats and won't take chances leaving her unsupervised). Koko dislikes being in the cage though and makes a ruckus and mess as much as she can before I come home to let her out again. When I need to be out, I was going to try the larger outside cage as she would have the wild birds around and more pleasant surroundings till I get home and bring her in to join us.

I would like some opinions what some people here might think of this.
Melika

Re: My New IRN and her housing arrangements

Post by Melika »

There isn't anything wrong with one inch bar spacing as long as your bird can't get out.

There are two primary worries why someone might say it is too large.
1. A bird can stick it's head through bars. If they are big enough and if they turn their head and can't pull it back in, they could panic and end up strangling themselves. Sounds far-fetched but it happens. Also, a bird sticking it's head out is more vulnerable to predators.
2. Keeping critters OUT. A cage with a larger bar spacing means paws and claws that can come into the cage after your bird. Small birds/squirrels can come in and eat your birds food and deposit their own droppings which might carry disease.

In my opinion, if you are okay with this cage and understand possible dangers, then it is just fine. I might make sure my first few outings are supervised before leaving her alone.

I had a tiel that used to stick his head out of his cage but he knew to turn his head back to pull his head back in. It is going to depend on the bird and your circumstances.

I would not leave my bird out at night though. Ever. I did have an aviary with tiels and a budgie outside but rats began to get into it after the bird food. Before I could build the new aviary to prevent that, a rat killed and ate one of my cockatiels and wounded the budgie, killing him as well. The cockatiel's innards and ribs were gone, leaving only an empty carcass. I learned the hard way. You don't have to.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Roxxy

Re: My New IRN and her housing arrangements

Post by Roxxy »

Melika, that is beyond awful what occured. Rats are something that would be a problem anywhere, city or more rural area. I would not ever leave my bird out at night and even more so now considering what you have described happening. Just thinking of that occuring to any bird is so scary.

I appreciate the advice and will need to think about it a bit further. Koko is still young and therefore not fully grown in her size, or that familiar with being in a cage (she had free reign at her previous home) so she does still thrash about a little sometimes when she wants out. This is happening less and less as she is familiar with her new home. There are times naturally that she must be caged for her safety and for sleep time and right now that will be exclusively happening in her smaller cage.

Who know's the larger cage (with the wider spacing) might be needed for a larger parrot one day if I am extremely fortunate :)