he doesnt like apples. uh oh

Moderator: Mods

Spartan4595

he doesnt like apples. uh oh

Post by Spartan4595 »

my new hand fed irn does not like apples. my old untamed ones which i had given away long ago loved them endlessly.my question is what is a great thing to replace apples. thanks.
Shane7285

Re: he doesnt like apples. uh oh

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

how old is your IRN? Mine also like pears, so give them a try. I find mine only like green apples, not really red ones.

Regards

Shane
Spartan4595

Post by Spartan4595 »

hes less then a year old and ive never heard him make a noise yet. also today i tried to give him a pear and he picked it up.after he took it to his spot he dropped it
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I feed mine heaps of different fruit and vegies.
Corn, peas, pear, apple, kiwi fruit, orange, watermelon, rockmelon, pawpaw, banana, strawberries, grapes, sweet potato, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, capsicum, mango, spinach, silverbeet, bokchoy, the list is endless. I wouldn't worry too much that your bird doesn't like a particular food. Plenty of others to choose from. :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

And he might just not be skilled at holding his food quite yet. It might never be his favourite thing to do anyway.

Tsume will drop/throw anything you give him so a kabob is PERFECT for giving him fruits and veggies.

Hane prefers to hold his food in his foot and eat that way- or he eats over the dish so he doesn't lose what he drops.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Spartan4595

Post by Spartan4595 »

i think hes scared of them
its wierd now that i put my hand in the cage he just goes to the side kinda like hes scared and doesnt wanna go on finger anymore.i tried giving him seeds he will eat them from my hand. but when i give him any fruit he puts his mouth on it backs away and gets scared.also he does the same to my finger.is this bluffing? it foesnt hurt he just puts hin beak on my finger as if its gonna bite but doesnt.i really want thim to eat a new fruit or vegetable please help
bec

Post by bec »

try making up a fuit platter of stuff that you will eat & is safe for him get him out of his cage & sitt down with him for a munch in front of the telly (so you not just focusing on him )
i will almost bet that he will strat checking out the fruit platter his natural curiousity will get the better of him plus coz your eating it he will feel safe about trying it
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

now its my turn to agree with bec.

they are very curious birds. if you are eating or drinking something, they always want to check it out. Like if I'm having a beer my guy likes to lick the condensation off the outside of the bottle (don't worry I make sure he doesn't get any beer). 8)

plus they think of you as their flock, so if your eating, it must be safe to eat too.

Shane
bec

Post by bec »

yep thats why only bird safe food is eaten when the birds are out!!!
all five of our irns like chips & pizza crust & we even have one who likes spaggetti bolgnaise (as a result we no longer have onions in the spag)
Melika

Post by Melika »

Might also try putting new foods in his normal food dish along with his normal food and see if he tries it then. He knows that what is in that dish is food so he might just give it a peck. Maybe try mashing the fruit into a little mush so he can taste it easily and get used to the flavour. I'm guessing the person who raised the chicks did not wean them onto a variety of foods, which is upsetting and it will probably take a while for him to explore new foods.

Have you tried millet sprays yet?

As for sidling away from your hand, he might be bluffing. Just be sure to give him a little attention each day and try to bring him out so he doesn't get used to being in his cage all day every day.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay