sour crop in 7day old baby - help me please

Moderator: Mods

ringybaby

sour crop in 7day old baby - help me please

Post by ringybaby »

hey there, to those of you that are following the life of "Squeak"

He has got a little bit of sour crop - smaller than the size of a pea and I was wondering what the best way is to release it and hopefully save his life - I know that it can be life threatening.

HELP ME PLEASE - ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Your best bet is to get him to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Young chicks have very weak immune systems and a sour crop will kill him.

For now, give him some apple juice with a small amount of apple cider vinegar.

Mix 2 Table spoons of apple juice to 1 drop of apple cider vinegar. That should kill the bacteria inside the crop.

If the chick is only a few days old, only 1 – 2 drops will suffice. Don’t ever fill the crop and keep the chick warm to help with digestion.

Hope this helps and please keep us updated!

Best wishes,

Imran Chaudhry
Melika

Post by Melika »

How is Squeak doing? I can't think of anything other than what Admin here told you.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ringybaby

Post by ringybaby »

little Squeak is doing just fine - I have been giving him Nilstat before feeds and that seems to have cleared the sour crop. He is now day 10 and eyes are nearly open. Ears are starting to form and he has grown so much. I will post more piccies in the next few days.

Take care