How to keep my bird cool

Moderator: Mods

Oceano

How to keep my bird cool

Post by Oceano »

Okay so I live in Australia and it gets pretty hot here during summer and was wondering how I can keep my bird cool. We make sure she has enough water but would it be alright to use a spray bottle and just every now and then spray her with some water to keep her cool?
julie

Post by julie »

yep its ok, they can also go into the shower with you too.they will take baths them selves, I know it sounds funny but some birds will take baths in their water bowls if you are vacuuming.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Try not to spray your bird a lot, just leave it be :lol: .
What you could do is make sure there is enough water
in there, daily. You should spray your bird once a day.
:D :D
courtney

Post by courtney »

You can also use a fan. Do not directly put the fan on your parrot, just beside him so the air gives a nice breeze. Chiquita loves to bath in her water dish. But yes, a spray once a day is fine, I wouldn’t do more then that though. When you give him a bath shut the fan off until he is dry because you don’t want him catching a cold. That is also why you don’t put a fan directly on them.
Mom too, Two Jack Russell Terriers, Rocky & Jack, Six Chinnies, Three Fish Tanks, One Ringneck, Chiquita & One Conure, Boomer.

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I keep my indoor birds inside during the hottest part of the day in a room that is cool from the airconditioner but not in direct contact with the aircon, (aircon at one end of the house, room at the other end. My outdoor birds tend to bath often in our Aussie heat and I also hose them down 2 or 3 times a day, depending on just how hot it is at the time.

Your bird will let you know if s/he does not want to be wet by moving away from the water source. My birds don't ever knock back a shower, even in the winter rain they are out there in it! I also saw my aviary birds bathing in rain that had small hail in it a few times. :shock:

Last summer here was terribly hot and I had been told, (and read), of alot of birds, (both domestic and wild) were dying due to heat stress. Here birds were dropping out of the sky and dying from heat exhaustion. :(

I would prefer to hose my bird as many times per day as needed than have them die from heat stress.