Cage spedifications for an Indian Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

amsirmans

Cage spedifications for an Indian Ringneck

Post by amsirmans »

Hello everyone. I just stumbled accross this site today and it is wonderful! I'm getting my first IRN this Saturday. He is a 3 month old blue and was hand fed. I've had birds before, cockatiels and an amazon, however Sky will be my first IRN. I'm looking at getting a new, bigger cage than what Sky is currently housed in (23 wide X 16 high X 15 deep) but I have some questions.

1. What is the minium cage size suitable for these birds?
2. What is the maxium bar spacing on a cage?
3. What is better, a taller cage or a wider cage?
4. What are your thoughts on acrylic or partical acrylic cages?
5. What are your thoughts on the cage he is in now?

I'm thinking of building a cage that is acrylic on the bottom half and bars on the top half to help contain food spillage. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Angela
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

1. Take a look in the photo forums at peoples cages, are you trying to save space?
2. Aswide as the cockatiel bars.
3. i would go with wider, all birds like to stay at the tallest point, so the bottom could go to waste.
4. Does not sound good.
5. Were is your photo of his cage?
rebecca malka

Post by rebecca malka »

As long as your IRN has enough space to spread its wings fully , and the longest point of it tail does not touch anything would be fine. It is preferable to not have any bird in a cage too small. I have 13 ringnecks living in an outdoor aviary all year round. We started small and kept adding to it as our flock grew. If your ringie can fly in a 8 pattern freely , then the cage is large enough. Usually the males fly figure 8's. Probably showing off for their females.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane's cage is 32'' wide x23'' deep x66'' tall Dometop cage. Bars pacing of 3/4 inch.

I think most people forget that the wing-spreading and flapping and tail test are for after the toys are in the cage!

I consider his cage to be something above minimum, but not by much. Since I'm in school now and gone a chunk of the day and he spends more time in there, I'm glad it is so large. Room for all his toys and still room to flap when he wants to. And he doesn't bend those gorgeous tail feathers on the bars.

I prefer dometop cages as they allow more room inside the cage for play. Hane uses the ENTIRE cage from top to bottom for his play, crawling all over his toys and the bars.

I love your idea for preventing food spillage. I think my only concern is if he were on the grill on the bottom of the cage (which you will have to keep him out of his waste), will he be able to climb back up with ease? Just make sure he has a way back up. And, of course, he's a bird so his mess will refuse to keep contained anyway. LOL

I do think the cage he is in now is too short and too shallow. Especially as his tail will grow longer with maturity. And he'll likely want to be more active. Even when Hane is out all day, he goes back into his cage and plays with his toys lol. He just loves his space.

Don't you love picking out toys? I got a variety the first time, to get an idea of what he liked. He LOVES leather to chew on and HATES swings lol. So now I know what kind of toys to get him. If he likes chunky wood toys or thin ones, do big ones scare him (nope), etc etc. I have way to much fun shopping for pets!

Congrats on your new IRN. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay