A Good Idea? Fruit and Vegetable Iceblocks!!!

Moderator: Mods

dale_gilbertson

A Good Idea? Fruit and Vegetable Iceblocks!!!

Post by dale_gilbertson »

Hi, I have a beautiful male ringneck named Alex and feeding him can be an issue. i feed him all kinds of fruits and vege's along with seeds. but he tends to chew and tear his food then drop it rather than eating it, so there is alot of wastage. so one day i was pondering about how to get him eating properly and i came up with this idea: I cut up his food relatively finely, mixing all kinds of fruit and vegetables in a large bowl and added a little water to it before allowing it to soak for a few minutes. i then packed the food and water into an ice tray and froze the mix into ice cubes. Now when i give him these ice cubes he can't waste so much food because he only has access to it as the cube melts of as licks/scrapes away the ice.

Benefits of this as i see them are:

-It keeps him entertained for a very long time while he feeds
-He Doesn't Waste so much food
-It stops the food spoiling
-I only have to prepare his meals once a week of so
-There's less cage mess
-The sweetness of the fruits in the water mixes with the vegetables and makes his food more enjoyable

What do people think of this idea? I'd love to hear feedback of possible issues on the subject.

Thanks
Dale
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I'll have to try that if i ever end up with a bird that doesn't already love his veggies. Skye does. He goes stock-raving mad for some corn. He'll basically eat anything he sees me eating, so long as I look like I'm enjoying it. That's something you could do, you could eat one in front of him and he'd want it even more. :D I'm glad you found a way to get yours to eat the healthy stuff. The ice cubes to reduce cage mess is a good idea though. There's so much strawberry goo flung on the walls. Skye eats it, he's just messy about it. :D Oh well.. birds will be birds.. :D
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I never thought of giving my Ring Neck
ice cubes with treats inside, i def will try it out. :D
Last edited by U.S Marine on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dale_gilbertson

Post by dale_gilbertson »

I know that! Alex will try eat anything if he see's me eating it. he used to have his own chair at the dinner table so he would feel included because he throws little tantrums if he is stuck in his cage at dinner time
bec

Post by bec »

definitly a good treat for summer