Is 1.5 Inch bar spacing too wide for IRN's?

Moderator: Mods

utopia4940

Is 1.5 Inch bar spacing too wide for IRN's?

Post by utopia4940 »

Hi everyone,
I have an old Animal Environments (macaw model) cage with 1/1/2 inch spacing that I used for my departed umbrella cockatoo. I would like to use it for my IRN for 2 reasons: 1) it's HUGE and would be almost like a flight cage 2) it cost a small fortune so why let it rust? What are your thoughts about this? I don't have my IRN yet. What is the "thickness" of your babies? Would they be able to squeeze through 1 1/2 inches??? Thanks in advance for the help :?:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I just checked my children's height chart, and in my opinion 1 and a half inches is way too wide. You might have to get some chicken wire (or something similar) to put around the outside. These birds just know how to get themselves in trouble!
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Chocobo has a really good idea. Wrap it with some chicken wire. There are certain issues with the metals of outdoor fencing material.. some are toxic. I don't remember those though. I'm sure someone who knows what they're talking about will come by and give you some really good info.

A ringie could get his head through it, and not remember how to get out and panic, possibly breaking his neck. 1.5 inches is much too wide, though. I still think you can use it with the right modifications, though! Post pics of it when it's all set up!! I wanna see!!
Janet

Bar width

Post by Janet »

When I first got my birds I was sold a cage that I was told was suitable but the bars were too wide apart. The birds would climb up in to the top corner and stick their heads out to see what was going on and would get stuck. I quickly too the cage back and swapped it for one with narrower bars. No more problems and the birds find it easy to climb around and hang upside down.