Good Cage Size

Moderator: Mods

jen5239
Community Greeter

Good Cage Size

Post by jen5239 »

Hello everyone. Since I haven't purchased my IRN yet or anything for the bird, I was wondering about cage size. I know they have a long tail and will need room for that. But I wasn't sure if I should be looking at cages for medium size birds or for large birds. I wouldn't think they would be considered a large bird, but I could be wrong. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear from you. And I'm having one heck of a time finding anyone around me that sells ringnecks. I'm getting kind of bummed. But I'll keep searching. Thanks for your help! Jen
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Get the biggest cage you can afford and make sure the bar spacing is less than one inch or you have to worry about them getting their head stuck. My Irn's are both in cages with bar spacing of exactly .5 inches. I wouldn't feel comfortable and larger spacing.
ScarletKnight

cage size

Post by ScarletKnight »

the biggest cage with less then 1 in is my suggestion but if he is a baby i would start out with a medium size cage easier to teach them in asmaller cage. But here are few questions you have to think of besides what mikela suggested.
1. is the bird gonan get play time
2. how long if yes
3. where is the bird gonna spend majority of the time.
4. do u live ina apartment or house if you ahve outside place is the cage portable for you to take the bird out.

I live ina townhouse so i have a back yard so i got a cage that has wheels because my bird and dog stay on the first floor. so i can take kairi out when ever his highness demands he likes being out and seeign sky and feel the air and looking at birds and my dog go crazy trying to make sure no1 goes near the cage birds, cats, neighbors . buying a cage is much iek buying a house you have to look at everything from convience to space. if you wnat to see a pic of kairi cage i can email it to you its liek like India's cage but white and more taller. India by the way is mikelas baby.
scarlet
Carly

Post by Carly »

whatever cage you end up with, make sure it isnt higher than your eye level. birds like feeling 'superior' by being up high, and it also makes training difficult if you are below the bird.

personally, i have two cages, one small (2' long x 2' high x 1.2' wide approx) and one large (about 4ft tall and 3ft diameter). the small one is inside and is able to be opened at the top allowing the bird play time outside of the cage. the large one is outside and the birds go out there to play in the daytime. i have also kept IRNs in the larger cage as a permanent home.

i think that the small cage is a bit on the small side and wouldnt really feel comfortable keeping an IRN there as its permanent home, unless it was getting ALOT of play time!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Hane's cage is rather large, but he uses every inch of it. He prefers to flap his wings inside his cage, unlike most birds I hear about. IRNs are active birds, so bigger is better. He gets bored easily so the more toys the better. I always have at least five toys for him at one time in his cage, and some more on his playstand. Those toys take up quite a bit of room and a few of them are pretty big (bigger than him). In a smaller cage with those toys there wouldn't be any room for a bird! lol.
His inside cage dimentions: 32"Width x 23"Depth x 42.5"Height

And a bigger door lets you get to your bird more easily, also making it easier to clean.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ScarletKnight

eye level cages

Post by ScarletKnight »

eye level cages can are really a bad idea for the mere fact that bird starts thinking he is the leader of the flock. i seen a lot of irn , macaws, cag, tag and otherwise good bird go to beign bad becuase of this. barking mad a show on animal planet just did an episode on this.
scarlet
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I second Scarlet. You need to always be above eye level or you will get nowhere with a bird. If money isnt an issue, get a cage like my Baby has to start out with

Then, when your baby gets a little older and TAMER, allow it to graduate to the Daddy of all cages like Peek-a-Boo's

If money is an option, go ahead and get a nice, big cage. These babies need alot of room or their feathers will look awful :(

When looking at cages, don't compromise. The cage will make your life easy or a nightmare. The cage needs to have a removable/slide out bottom for easy cleaning and the doors need to be large. Peek's cage has two large doors and two small ones.

If money is no problem, get a cage like Baby's and plan to upgrade when she is about 2. However, even Baby's cage is big enough to house even the biggest ringneck but I will get her a cage like Peek's when she is older.

Bar spacing, a sliding cage bottom and big doors are what you need to look for first and foremost.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Thank you so much! You guys are all so wonderful and full of help! I greatly appreciate it! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site! Keep your finger's crossed as I think I might be getting my bird this weekend. I'll keep you posted!
Thanks,
Jen
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yay! I hope it works out!
ScarletKnight

great

Post by ScarletKnight »

i hope you do to Irn are alot of work but return the investment 1000X over, i wish i can say same about my 401k plan lol. Please post. as for im sure me and otehr members are intrested in each others bird. oh yeah do u have a lik dog carrier. it is wonderful way to take irn to vets or bird shop to get them cliped or checked over a towel and a water botel and ure set. remember bigger cage can't be take into most shops. jsut somethign to consider. i havea dog so i got lucky in that reguards. but enjoy ure irn and do post pics.
scarlet
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I too use a doggie carrier when I take my birdies out, if their wings arent clipped. Now both girls are good to go though so no more puppy bag. I will mail you mine if you need it. I dont want any of these babies getting away.

It is the size of an average gym bag and is vented everywhere. Much bigger and nicer than a bird cage. They are too small and we dont want to mess up those beautiful tail feathers. I know when you first invest in a bird, money is spent quickly. I dropped well over 2 grand my first week. Not even realizing it because I was so excited. My husband finally handed me the receipts and asked "how much more stuff will that baby need, she is breaking me." That is when I realized I had gone bird crazy. So, if money is an issue right now, I will mail you my carrier as not to risk losing that baby. Just PM me your address. No, I am usually not a stalker so no worries. *Usually*