Keeping an IRN in an apartment

Moderator: Mods

Pattu Rani

Keeping an IRN in an apartment

Post by Pattu Rani »

I am wondering if there are any apartment dwellers on the list who keep IRNs and if they have had any problems with noise - I live in a small apartment in Queens NY and most likely will be moving sometime next year - my understanding is usually landlords don't have a problem with birds but if my future birdie makes a lot of noise I am afraid it might be an issue. From reading people's posts it seems like everyone's bird doesn't screech all the time - hope I will end up with a bird like that.
:wink:
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I do! I've had him here for roughly 8 months. No problems. My downstairs neighbor's chihuahuas bark more than my IRN squawks. No one seems to be complaining about them. Skye tends to squawk A LOT when we're watching a loud movie with explosions and stuff in it or my husband is playing our xbox. No one has any problems with that either. Be warned though: if you bring your IRN out while kids are out, be prepared to be swamped and be asked "Can I hold your bird?" about 20 times. Skye loves the extra attention. I'm trying to get him used to kids anyways, as my husband and I are planning on a couple of children.

Good luck! Post pics when you do get one!
julie

Post by julie »

If you can try to get a hand raised hand tame baby, it should be easier and a lot quieter.
Mjay

Post by Mjay »

I have 2 IRN'S and they are inside all the time and i never have a problem with them being too noisy, sometime's i put the cage in my back screen room and they love listening to all the other birds and they are a little noisy then, i know someone who has an outside aviary and they are very noisy at sun up and sun down!
MJAY
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My indoor birds are fairly quiet. They obviously have their chatter time, especially when the microwave goes off, (what is it with birds and microwaves lol), or it is near their snack time. The aviary birds are mostly quiet unless I am outside or it is their snake time. I find the sun conures and rainbow lorries to be more noisy than the IRNs. :)

I guess it all depends on the neighbours to. I ended up getting a cockatiel as the girl who owned him since she was 16 moved into a unit and the neighbours complained about the noise! :shock: Now this guy hardly makes a sound and when he does, you need a microphone to be able to hear him lol. Some neighbours have nothing better to do then complain lol :)
Pattu Rani

Post by Pattu Rani »

Thanks for the tips everybody - I found a local breeder who says her IRNs are nesting so hopefully in the next couple of months will have a new feathered friend - in the meantime I am sure I will be asking a lot more questions and enjoying everyone's photos and videos. :D And yeah that is so true about birds and microwaves - my sennie used to go crazy when mine went off and copied the beep perfectly - funny birds!!!
inept

Post by inept »

I can hear Ruffle screaming from quite a distance. As soon as I come home from work (I think he can hear my car or the garage opening) he is overcome with excitement. I can hear him from my mailbox.

:shock:

You might get some complaints in an apartment, depending on your neighbors.
threio

Post by threio »

I live in a large studio apartment in suburban PA and I can hear Threio outside when I leave. No complaints though for the last 8 months.

However, it helps that the other tenants can see me come and go and understand that his calls will stop in about 2 minutes after my departure.

They also have seen him (size) when I take him on trips in the car and I routinely clean his cage outside so they know I have a relatively SMALL PARROT.

I think these two factors have helped them tolerate his chatter in the morning as I tolerate their cats (in the hallways) and dogs (barking and pooping in my grass excercise area -- LOL.

IRN can be a little loud in an apt, mostly for YOU (LOL), but not really in the suburbs, we have a lot of wild birds making loud noises outside in the AM, so its pretty much a normal routine for most.

Your neighbors will be key though.