Is this normal?

Moderator: Mods

taco

Is this normal?

Post by taco »

Hi i just bought a IRN about to three weeks ago we got him a large cage and toys and tried to make him feel right at home. (He is allowed to wonder around also) we have been feeding him apple corn and parrot mix but he has only been eating sun flower seeds in the parrot mix i am worried that just the sunflower seeds will not give him the nutrition and vitamins to sustain a healthy diet. So my question is. Is this normal? please get back to me
thankyou Alex
Fah

Post by Fah »

How old is he? It could be a bad habbit passed from the past owner if he is older... else its a new found favourite food.

I would use a seed mix with very limited sunflower seeds, use them for treats, and introduce some wider variety of fruit and veg during this time.

Without getting into the relatively boring debate of seed v's pelllets diets, just focus on variety and if you nip it in the but asap, you should not have a problem.

It may be that you need to mix your own seed mix for a while to leave out the sunflower ones for a while.

Another point, the average Indian doesnt go head over toe for dry corn, if thats a large part of the seed mix thats prob why it is focusing on the sunflower as well.

Sunflower seeds only become a problem if the parrot gets away with that behaviour, so depending on how long it has been happening, it could be more annoying to get it out of the habbit.

End result... variety is key, you need to keep changing / have a variety avaiilable, of fruit, veg, and either seed or pellets... or both. Getting the bird used to a particular set of food can prove a big problem later down the track health wise.

In times like this I also suggest using a water vitamin supliment, just incase you are worried about nutrition for a while.
taco

Post by taco »

Hello,
Thanks for the info. This is Alex's mum. Taco is about 12 weeks old. The lady we got him from said he fave food was sunflower seeds but I did know it wasnt good for them to eat just this.
I will try what you suggested and mix my own seed and use the sunflower seeds as a treat.
Again thank you for your time...
Kristy
Fah

Post by Fah »

No worries, thats what this forum is for. :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

You could try soaking or sprouting seed to increase it's nutritional value. Once a seed has sprouted, it is like a vegie. I read that soaked or sprouted seed is much better for birds than plain seed out of the bag.

:)
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

sprouted seeds can sometimes grow bacteria which can make your IRN sick
Fah

Post by Fah »

xx_sheena_xx wrote:sprouted seeds can sometimes grow bacteria which can make your IRN sick

Crossing the road means you run the risk of getting hit by a car as well..... :P

Myself and almost any breeder / pet owner I know have used soaked seed for their young every year, as well as provide sprouted seed week after week with never a problem... the only problem you have with the stuff is if you follow unsanitary routines / let it ferment in old water etc... in heat etc...

Soaked seed and sprouted seed are possibly one of the best things you can feed your bird... there are loads of sites and information sources on sprouting your own seed for bird / human consumption on the net, if you really cant find anything I will happily dig some info up for you and point you in the right direction.

Its incredibly easy to do, as well as very safe so long as you follow basic guidelines... a touch of time for a truck load of health for your bird.
marsharae

Post by marsharae »

I like that idea, what are the basics in sprouting seeds?
bagman

Post by bagman »

mine actually did the same thing so when i give him my seed mix i take out the sunflowa seeds an use them to reward him as treats an he loves it.
there is no limit to the love i have for my bird xD