better nutrtion?

Moderator: Mods

robin.s

better nutrtion?

Post by robin.s »

since we have gotten our IRN we have been feeding her some veggies in the morning. she loves her veggies :D she eats a mixture of pellets and seed all through the day and eats a load of it in the evenings. in the after noons we feed her a little bit of fruit. is fruit and veg ok? i have seen some people say fruit and veg every other day is best. she seems to be doing great. even her color is improving (either that or my vision and memory are getting worse than they were)! some of her under feathers are getting quite bright compared to when we first got her and she was a pale blue all over. also she is starting to get a brighter blue color around her neck (around the "ring" part is) :O i don't know if this is a sign our "she" is a "he" or if she is just getting better nutrition?

what do you guys think?
i will attack a photo of what her under feathers are looking like (i do not know what those feather are technically called)

thank you in advance :)

- robin

p.s. yeah you can see the person that owned her previous fucked her wing clipping :[

Jim

Post by Jim »

Feeding fruits and vegetables every day is fine. Make sure you offer a variety of vegetables, as different vegetables have different nutrient profiles.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

oh yeah she gets spinach, kale, green quash, yellow squash, carrots, bell peppers, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and brocholi. we switch things up on her too. as far as fruits she gets apples, oranges (but the oranges have been ick this year) pineapple, banana, kiwi fruit. we haven't tried peaches, pears, strawberry or some of the more "exotic" fruits" yet. she gets peanuts, and occasionally some potatoes. we are going to try corn but i am not sure if fresh corn is ok if frozen corn is okay. i want to try some fresh jalapeños but i don't know if she can have the seeds or not.

do you think this "new" diet can be causing her colors to improve? she was just on budgie seed before.

thank you for answering, jim :D
Jim

Post by Jim »

A bird's feathers are very much a reflection of their diet, but the feathers themselves don't change much after they've grown in. Birds are always losing and replacing a few feathers so you'll see a little bit of the effects of a diet change shorrtly after the change occurs but where you'll really see a dramatic difference is after a full moult.

Jim
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

i can't wait for her 1 year old moult and i am super excited about her 2 year old moult!!
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm sorry. I didn't fully answer your questions.

Corn is fine, either fresh or frozen.

Peppers in general are fine and I've never heard or read anything about the seeds being a problem. Apple seeds are thought to be a no-no, but not pepper seeds as far as I know.

Jim