learning to eat

Moderator: Mods

Tyeman

learning to eat

Post by Tyeman »

hi got my 6 week old baby girl yesterday she is still on one feed per night from a syringe i just wanted some tips on how to help them learn to eat. Thanx
nil

Post by nil »

hi Tyeman
if your baby dont eat food himself, one feed per day with syringe is inadequate.
You must bring down the number of handfeeds as your baby begin to eat.
For tthe weaning stage, i have seen that the most useful foods are fresh or frozen corn on the cob and millet sprays.
I hang them on cage, so the bird begin to play and eat, also a seed mix or pellets mix, various fruits and vegetables
Tyeman

learning to eat

Post by Tyeman »

thanx for that at the moment she is pecking at seeds every now and then would you say she needs more than one syringe feed per day and by what age should she be eating tottaly independently???
nil

Post by nil »

it depends from the bird but usual at three months.
the better and more safe way to see if he feeding ok is to weight him.
if you find that he looses weight or stays the same for a few days you must increase the handfeeding otherwise is ok
julie

Post by julie »

start off putting some softer foods like fruit ect in the cage , they get really curious and try to put everything in their mouths and eventually start eating it rather than playing with it.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Peas, Beans, Corn on the cob are all great items of interest as young birds. Also soaked seed.

You should have the softer food available all day while in this stage... so they can play and get interested in it all. Eventually they will be eating regularly from the soaked seed, once this happens, you have some dry seed floating around as well more often, and once they are eating dry seed easily, you know they are fully ready to get out and see the rest of the world... ie; your house :P
Tyeman

learning to eat

Post by Tyeman »

cool thanx for that guys ,should help me alot