IRN Anatomy

Moderator: Mods

Briony

IRN Anatomy

Post by Briony »

Does any one on here know much about the anatomy of ringnecks and i guess birds in general?

THe reason i ask is ruski has like two glands either side of her lower mandible and one seems a little bigger than the other.

going to take her to the vet just wondering what you guys think :)

thanks
Jim

Post by Jim »

It sounds very much like the thyroid glands.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Briony

Post by Briony »

Thanks Jim

does it sound normal that ones a bit bigger than the other like ours get sometimes?

she had a bit of a accident with a pear clip last night so im just wondering if she couldve irritated it or something
Fah

Post by Fah »

No its not normal for a parrots glands to rise / swell.

Ours do thanks to our very efficient tonsils that are designed to catch as much of the nasties we inhale as possible, and 'trap' the infection there. And our tonsils are made quite efficiently so to allow the large swelling mass to occur.

Birds do not suffer the same degree of problem with the glandular area swelling as their tonsils are actually located in the very opening of the mouth. Any problems with tonsils in an IRN for example would manifest very differently to our swelling problems, mostly you dont even know it and they just seem lethargic and not so hungry. Their tonsils are located right at the opening of the mouth (just inside the edge).

As Jim said, the situation does sound like the thyroid gland. Else with the fact that there could be a scratch on the bird (inside the mouth or otherwise) it could be a small infection due to the incident you mentioned.

This is my knowledge, I am far from a doctor and would happily stand corrected should someone be able to get their hands on a vet. This information is mostly gathered from various vet visits from friends and word of mouth from experienced breeders. Would not mind hearing what comes of it.

Cheers, take care.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Enlargement of the thyroid glands, whether due to injury or due to another cause, is not normal.

If there's some kind of swelling on your bird's throat that wasn't there previously then going to the vet is a very good idea.

Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Any update on this?

Jim
Briony

Post by Briony »

Hi Jim,

the sweeling appears to have gone done and she is eating fine and being fairly normal, i am still going to keep a close eye on her though.

she has been biting a lot more but i think this may be due to it beng the breedingseason, though she wont step on your finger (she will just bite it) she will let you pat her as she klucks her head off....

Strange bird :D