Citrus Fruit

Moderator: Mods

Aunt B

Citrus Fruit

Post by Aunt B »

I've read that you should avoid giving your IRN cirtrus fruits - does it hurt them. I was given an IRN, named Rosie. He loves oranges - but I won't let him have any more until I know if this is true.
yellowralph

Re: Citrus Fruit

Post by yellowralph »

Aunt B wrote:I've read that you should avoid giving your IRN cirtrus fruits - does it hurt them. I was given an IRN, named Rosie. He loves oranges - but I won't let him have any more until I know if this is true.

As long as you remove the pips there is no real problem with oranges (i dont know about other citrus). I have been warned numerous times about avocado (kills them apparently) and chocolate and dairy but otherwise (even chicken meat) most other things are ok.

Cheers
R
ScarletKnight

oranges

Post by ScarletKnight »

well when iwas in india they only feed them milk and bread. and parrots i knew were like 25 plus. I never hear oranges are bad for them i give it to mine all the time what am i suppose to remove he eats everything i give him the seedless kind.
ken
Jade

Post by Jade »

I have always given my parrots a bit of milk...they love it. Especially when some bread has been soaked in it and its all gooey. That is part of what I use when I am hand rearing my babies. My Chookie loves nothing better than to stick his beak in a glass of milk and have his fill. I haven't seen any adverse effects. Chook also has eaten cheese and seems to really enjoy it (Colby cheese). The only things I don't feed my birds are avocado, chocolate and lettuce (apparently that is also bad for them??) They eat just about everything else. They LOVE passionfruit and get all excited when they know they are getting that. Trial and test everything. Like children, if they want it, they'll eat it.
waasif786

Re: Citrus Fruit

Post by waasif786 »

As long as you remove the pips there is no real problem with oranges (i dont know about other citrus). I have been warned numerous times about avocado (kills them apparently) and chocolate and dairy but otherwise (even chicken meat) most other things are ok.

Cheers
R[/quote]

hi can you tell me how should the chicken be cooked.
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

my bird has never had any problems with oranges. but I guess that’s down to the bird itself just as humans can be allergic to things so can animals and birds I’m sure.
webvixen

Post by webvixen »

i'm not 100% sure but i think it can be harmfull if your bird eats alot of the pellet mix you can get for birds it is high in vitimin C so extra vit C from citrus fruits can be bad, just like people too much vit C can be bad

as i said not 100% sure if this is true but i did read this on the net somewhere
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

birds are lactose intolerant, they shouldnt be drinking any milk at all. I killed a baby budgie once when I was young because I mixed the hand rearing food with milk. With small doses you probably wouldnt notice anything but dairy includes milk. So it's definatly on my not to drink list for them.
Melika

Post by Melika »

My babes get star-fruit, which I beleive is a citrus? There are never any oranges left for them, lol, we eat them all ourselves. xDD

The one good thing about FL, you grow citrus in your yard. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay