offering water

Moderator: Mods

mvd12720

offering water

Post by mvd12720 »

at what age do you start offering water to them powder is 5 weeks old and i forget it has been a few years sense i had a baby
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

I gave water when Amazon was feeding for himself, as the hand feed stuff has water in it
Sharlene and Amazon
Fah

Post by Fah »

I offer water really only when the baby starts to eat on its own as well. The food you start weaning them off onto has a very high water content, added with the water content of the formula, providing water is overkill and can lead to very runny poop, and possibly everything moving too fast through the system.

When the bub is about to start on 1 feed a day, supply some water... should do you fine.
Linde

Post by Linde »

My ringneck is now weaning, and did just learn to drink for two weeks or so. In the beginning she drunk too much (kept on drinking for minutes), maybe thinking that is was handfeeding formula or something, so I gave her water now and than, but did not leave her alone with it at first. Now she is drinking fine, and is at approx one feeding a day.
mvd12720

Post by mvd12720 »

powder is eating and drinkin fine now still on two handfeedings a day well actully 1 and 1/2 powder will eat very little in the mornings but is eating veggies and fruit all day ( i give a variety) but will eat quite a bit in the evenings
Linde

Post by Linde »

That's good to hear :) Mine is very picky in her eating.. don't really know what to do with that. She just eats the fruits and vegetables, she nibbles a bit on the pellets, but only if I give them to her between my fingers. I have the idea that only fruit and vegetables aren't enough, what do you think?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Its good to give them a little bit of everything (including pellets), we call this abundance weaning. This way they get used to different flavours/textures and helps keep them from being too picky when they're older. IRNs usually have a true joy in food.

Dont forget your seed! Seed has very important fats and nutrients. I like to give the little ones millet spray at all times so they can play with it (handy that it's on a stick!) and learn how to manipulate the seed and hull it once they begin eating new foods. Once they've mastered a tiny seed like millet and understand it's food, we try something more normal sized (sunflower seeds are a treat in my house instead of an everyday item).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay