Fruit destroyer

Moderator: Mods

HappyBirdie

Fruit destroyer

Post by HappyBirdie »

Hello dear friends!
Thank you on great advices, in last few weeks I learned a lot about these marvelous birds here.
My new family member came 1 week ago, he (or she) is around 2-3 months old, not tamed but we have already made progress, so my beautiful birdie is eating from my hand. :x
Now I am here because I have unusual problem. My bird adores fruit, and would eat only fruits during all day. He also likes some sortes of vegetables.
I gave him pellets and seeds but he is not interested at all, maybe grab just few seeds during day and that's it. Because of that his droppings are really runny, there's a lot of water (polyuria), and feces is reduced.
He would starve himself but won't eat that food.
Only thing beside fruits and vegetables that he eats is egg food (orlux gold patee), he really loves it but that is not food that he should eat that much, maybe 2-3 times a week. Because of the problem I'm giving him that food every day and when I do that, his dropping normalize. So my questions are:
1. Can this egg food be dangerous in great amounts?
2. Can polyuria if lasts longer cause any other damages?
3. Can prolonged non usage of seeds and pellets cause harm?
4. How can I teach my bird to eat normal?
And any other advices are welcome!
sanjays mummi

Re: Fruit destroyer

Post by sanjays mummi »

Fresh fruit and vegetables should make up the best part of his daily rations, seeds/pellets are ok in small amounts, or treats. If he is eating mainly seeds and pellets he is probably drinking more, and this is causing the polyuria, dried foods can cause kidney problems in dogs and cats.
The best fruit and veg are the safe seedy ones, like peppers, papaya, etc, they get quite a lot of liquid from the juices, my bird loves oranges and pineapple because she likes to drink the juice. Personally, I would cut back on seed and pellets, and increase fresh fruit and vegetables.
HappyBirdie

Post by HappyBirdie »

Thanks on answer, but maybe I didn't express myself correctly so we misunderstood because english is not my mother tongue. My problem is that he is eating only fruit and vegetables, and little egg food when I give it to him. So because of that he has more liquid droppings, not from drinking too much water. And I'm very happy with him eating fruit and I hope he will always eat like this, but I think that it would be good to eat a little bit of other food because of droppings.
Melika

Post by Melika »

HappyBirdie wrote:Hello dear friends!
Thank you on great advices, in last few weeks I learned a lot about these marvelous birds here.
My new family member came 1 week ago, he (or she) is around 2-3 months old, not tamed but we have already made progress, so my beautiful birdie is eating from my hand. :x
Now I am here because I have unusual problem. My bird adores fruit, and would eat only fruits during all day. He also likes some sortes of vegetables.
I gave him pellets and seeds but he is not interested at all, maybe grab just few seeds during day and that's it. Because of that his droppings are really runny, there's a lot of water (polyuria), and feces is reduced.
He would starve himself but won't eat that food.
Only thing beside fruits and vegetables that he eats is egg food (orlux gold patee), he really loves it but that is not food that he should eat that much, maybe 2-3 times a week. Because of the problem I'm giving him that food every day and when I do that, his dropping normalize. So my questions are:
1. Can this egg food be dangerous in great amounts?
2. Can polyuria if lasts longer cause any other damages?
3. Can prolonged non usage of seeds and pellets cause harm?
4. How can I teach my bird to eat normal?
And any other advices are welcome!
I wouldn't consider it harmful polyuria in this case because it is consistent with his current diet. I expect the feces to be watery when eating watery foods. I have never seen or heard of a problem with feeding a little egg-food on a daily basis. I have also never heard of polyuria being harmful in the case of simply feeding a lot of veggies/fruits. If your bird is otherwise healthy, I'm not sure it is a problem. You could and should talk to an avian vet about it if it worries you, of course.

Seeds are a healthy part of an IRN's diet, and so far pellets seem to be good. They're only unhealthy if ONLY fed seed or pellets with nothing else.

It sounds like it might be a texture or taste issue for your bird. I would try different things that are good at hiding foods that your bird is ignoring like the sweet potato mash listed in the What to Feed Your Parrot sticky in this forum, Sally Blanchard's famous GLOP recipe, or various Birdie Bread recipes. You can add seeds, pellets, and different veggies to almost all of these foods.

Fruits are sweet. They're like candy. So I always fed more vegetables than fruits.

Some people drizzle a little bit of fruit juice on pellets to make them a little sweeter and more appealing (remember that wet foods will have large bacterial blooms so remove the food after four hours or sooner if the environmental temperature is warm/hot).

My sister and I found that our IRNs had very different tastes. My sister's birds liked his fresh foods diced up very small (kind of funny since my sister is like that too!) Mine pretty much ate everything... I confess he was like me. He did prefer his carrots at least sliced small enough for him to hold. But he liked his lettuce on a skewer. Some birds love to tear apart a food, others like to hold, and still others prefer little pieces. It is fun learning what your parrot loves the most!

Also, keep in mind that if you offer a new food and the food he already loves is availible, he will probably ignore the new food. I usually offered pellets or seeds all day and veggies in the morning or late afternoon/evening.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
HappyBirdie

Post by HappyBirdie »

Thank you very much on your answer, you helped me so I'm not that worried anymore! :x
On web you just find so many infos, so I didn't knew what is normal and what is not, and it's easy for my to imagine illness for my birds. My family is joking with me that I'm spending more time in observing droppings than in anything else.
I prepared him a birdie bread yesterday, he put it into a water and than ate a little.
In my country sweet potato isn't imported, so I can't make bunch of great recepies. Is there anything else that I can use instead of that?
I had 2 tiels for long period so now everything is different. My heart was broken when they went, but this little guy brought new joy to my life, and I must to give him best care.
Melika

Post by Melika »

HappyBirdie wrote:Thank you very much on your answer, you helped me so I'm not that worried anymore! :x
On web you just find so many infos, so I didn't knew what is normal and what is not, and it's easy for my to imagine illness for my birds. My family is joking with me that I'm spending more time in observing droppings than in anything else.
I prepared him a birdie bread yesterday, he put it into a water and than ate a little.
In my country sweet potato isn't imported, so I can't make bunch of great recepies. Is there anything else that I can use instead of that?
I had 2 tiels for long period so now everything is different. My heart was broken when they went, but this little guy brought new joy to my life, and I must to give him best care.
Pumpkin or some of the other orange or yellow squashes might work (and also provide similar nutrition especially with beta carotene which the body converts to Vitamin A and is notoriously lacking in a caged bird diet). Are those grown locally? I tend to prefer locally grown foods if possible and change with the seasons. I think this provides the most varied diet and often provides more complete nutrition than eating the same things all the time. :)

The beauty of mashes or birdie breads is the flexibility. You can change the ingredients as your supply of veggies/fruits changes.

Your IRN is a fortunate little guy to have an owner that cares so much.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
kirarob

Post by kirarob »

your discussion make me wanna live! such cool :-*
Helpful service with best writers - eliteessaywriters.com :o3