food

Moderator: Mods

David1974

food

Post by David1974 »

Hello i am new to keeping i.r.n what are the best foods apart from fresh veg and fruit I've been reading that seeds are not good for the them. so i thought i would try pellets and now I've been reading that there not that good for them ether so i don't know what to believe .
sanjays mummi

Re: food

Post by sanjays mummi »

Pellets are expensive, I bought a bag once and my bird wouldn't eat them!, he gets 90% of his nourishment from the fresh seeds found in safe fruit and vegetables, and a bowl of seed on the side, usually canary mix because it contains egg biscuit and Niger seed, sunflower seeds are birdy junk food, but a little now and then does no real harm, as long as you check out safe vs toxic, and offer a varied diet, plus fresh water daily you can't go far wrong, your bird will soon indicate what he/she prefers, and it's great fun shopping for them. I started at the Asian market stall, and it's surprising the native fruits and veg you find at different seasons of the year. Guavas are a favourite, bitter melon, especially when the inside flesh is red, lychees without the pits, papaya, passion fruit, anything safe and seedy. :-bd
David1974

Post by David1974 »

hello thanks i will do more research its just the reading I've been doing are conflicting sum are for seeds sum are for pellets. i was not planing on giving them as a full diet but maybe small amounts of each but i will keep in mind about sunflower seeds i just bought some new seeded food because i thought the seeds i got with my bird where poor quality. but i will pick all the sunflower out and give as a treat now and again or maybe for training. and i with buy sum canary mix. still learning about my bird yet its just don't want to be wasting lots of fresh food i can't eat fruit myself anyway thanks
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Vegetables are good for birds too but like children my parrot refuses to them but she will try some from time to time. Apples are a safe bet, and my hen adores pears, it is trial and error a little and often.
Mellie

Post by Mellie »

HI My name is Mellie,
My bird Cookie likes mealtime to be a game, he was a very fussy eater of some foods like pear and apple, and veges like broccolli and carrot, I tried a lot of ways to present those foods and eventually came up with the idea of wrapping small slivers or pieces in a large lettuce leaf like a parcel,.
Then I placed it not in feeders but on his tree stand, showed him how to tear the parcel open and find the goodies inside and as he ripped up the lettuce leaf he also got a bite of the fruit or veges.

He would spend quite a long time foraging in the parcel and went back several times to get a bite of this and that. He still likes to forage for all of his food, veges fruit, seeds etc and no longer wants his food in a feeder. Just a thought about fussy eaters.
Mido1311

Post by Mido1311 »

Hi .. i have pair of indian ringneck parrots and they were ok eating sunflower hearts but suddenly they strat throwing the food bowl everytime i put sunflower hearts seeds in it ... any ideas why they are doing that ?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Firstly, sunflower hearts and seeds are high in fat, and should only be used as a treat now and then. Your birds are doing what mine does, Usually when she is looking to see if there is something else underneath.