No pellets? so what?

Moderator: Mods

mamad876

No pellets? so what?

Post by mamad876 »

Hi all,

It's ridiculous that I could not find any pellets for ring necks in local stores here!!! When I go to bird shops here they all suggest sunflower seed as a main dish for my IRN, and I read every where that these seed are not a good as main food for them.

Also I read the article named "What to feed your ringneck" here, but to be sure would you please tell me what replacements I can give to "Cocab" my IRN as a daily food?

Thank you very much.
Regards,
M
freaky

Post by freaky »

fruit and veg from off the list.

i found it works out cheaper then pellets/seed only.
Donna

Post by Donna »

A pellet diet is not necessary in a birds diet but an all sunflower seed is not good for them either. Sunflowers are very high in fat which can cause your bird health problems such as fatty liver disease. You can cook for your bird there are thousands of recepies out there that are made for parrots. Beans, rice, pasta, eggs, and of course your fruits and veggies are all good for your bird. Be creative and see what you can cook up for your birds. He will love you for it!!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

Thanks alot.

I'll try some.

Regards,
M

Oh! i forgot something would please give me links to some of those recipes?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Like Donna said, you can cook for Cocab and offer fruits and vegies. Basically anything but definately not avocado, apple seeds and caffiene, chocolate, coffee etc.

Other than seed, other types of bird food are expensive and hard to find here too for some reason. I buy my fruit and nut mix online, which I found is cheaper than buying from a petshop. Its dissapointing that petshops only offer one type of food, which happens to be bad for a birds health, sunflower seeds that is, where if your looking for dog and cat food there is a whole isle dedicated to a wide range of food for them.
Seed is a natural food for birds and I think they should get it as a staple, but my choice is the fruit, crumble and nut mixes. I just think they look enticing to me! lol.. and have added goodness. Thats just my choice though. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

Hi,

To day I gave him a hardboiled egg. It seems that Cocab is not very interested in! Just tried some and then throw away the rest!

Also, can I give him rice? here in Iran we usually have rice specially at launch so I can easily offer to Cocab if it's good for IRNs.

regards,
M
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i feed Spit rice all the time and he loves it.

i posted a thread not so long ago with some recipies of fun things to make for fids. http://www.indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5865

also, look online, you might be able to find a better and cheaper seed diet for your bird as his daily food.

As a treat, as long as i know its not toxic to Spit (spicey foods and things with additives etc are a no), i give him a bit of whatever im eating. i make a lot of stuff from scratch instead of jars, so i know exactly whats in it, and if i am using jars you just need to read the ingredients. Spit seems interested in food mostly because he can shred it, like eggs for example, i think he gets more fun out of ripping it to bits and shotting it everywhere. You could try giving Cocab some baby foods aswell, the ones you buy in little jars from a shop are alright if you read the label. they usually contain no salt or sugar and are mostly made from veggies.
freaky

Post by freaky »

why no spicy foods?

irns love chillis, hang a raw chilli in the cage and watch them scoff the lot.

its a good natural wormer as well.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

ryelle wrote:i feed Spit rice all the time and he loves it.

i posted a thread not so long ago with some recipies of fun things to make for fids. http://www.indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5865

also, look online, you might be able to find a better and cheaper seed diet for your bird as his daily food.

As a treat, as long as i know its not toxic to Spit (spicey foods and things with additives etc are a no), i give him a bit of whatever im eating. i make a lot of stuff from scratch instead of jars, so i know exactly whats in it, and if i am using jars you just need to read the ingredients. Spit seems interested in food mostly because he can shred it, like eggs for example, i think he gets more fun out of ripping it to bits and shotting it everywhere. You could try giving Cocab some baby foods aswell, the ones you buy in little jars from a shop are alright if you read the label. they usually contain no salt or sugar and are mostly made from veggies.

Spicy foods are great for IRN's they help with worming, instead of having to go out and buy the wormer stuff, Amazon will eat a whole chilly to himself every month then try adn kiss you, its a no no for kissing me after he had a chilly i dont like getting burnt lips he also loves garlic and stuff like that.
Sharlene and Amazon
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

ahahaaa its rats you cant give spicey food too. gettin my pets mixed up. Doh! Spit has dried pepper and chilis in his dinner. omg im stupid some times :D
mamad876

Post by mamad876 »

Thank you, you helped me very much,

But there is always a NO for sugar and salt, is it really absolutely NO? Is there any problem with a little amount of salt that we have in our cookings or I must avoid it for Cocab?

regards
M
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

some food has natural amounts of Salt in. On another post somebody was talking about the amount of natural salt in celery (Quoted below). We get criticed a lot as people for eating too much salt because we add salt in where sometimes its not necessary because the food we are eating actually has hidden salt trace in it. i personally wouldnt feed ANYTHING that contained added salt or sugar to my fid. I think of it as feeding a toddler or young child extra salt or sugar on their food and how unhealthy it is for them

That there's little nutritional value in celery is a common myth. The myth usually goes hand-in-hand with the fact that your body uses more energy consuming the celery than it provides - it is incorrect substantiation for this fact.

In truth, celery is quite a nutritious food. It's high in dietary fiber, vitamin A (excellent for birds), vitamin C, folate (vitamin B9), potassium, manganese, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B6, calcium (also very important for birds), magnesium and phosphorus. The leaves are more nutritious than the stalk but both are healthy and birds will enjoy both.

It's low in sugar, which is good but it's curiously high in salt, which is not so good.

Most vets will recommend celery for birds and it's a good, healthy treat. Other birdy favorites like kale and spinach are coincidentally also curiously salty, but not as salty as celery.
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

not to but in but i was looking at you guys talking about peppers. are jalapano peppers okay for them? what about the seeds in them? also dried or fresh?

also is cauliflower ok for them?
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi Mamad876
In your part of the world, rice is in the market. Use the brown rice for your IRN, it has more vitamins. Also if you can get quinua and lentils and pastas, you can cook these all togather for a good diet for your IRN. The quinua is high in protien and other minerals and vitamins. And you can add some chopped nuts and vegetables and herbs or serve them seperate from the cooked dinner.
Hope this is helpful. :)