Celery?

Moderator: Mods

zivie17

Celery?

Post by zivie17 »

I am just wondering if I can give my IRN a little bit of celery, I don't want to give it to Indi until I am sure.....She seems to get jealous when I am eating it lol :roll:
Donna

Post by Donna »

Celery is ok to give your bird and mine love it but there is not alot of nutritional value in celery.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
inept

Post by inept »

That there's little nutritional value in celery is a common myth. The myth usually goes hand-in-hand with the fact that your body uses more energy consuming the celery than it provides - it is incorrect substantiation for this fact.

In truth, celery is quite a nutritious food. It's high in dietary fiber, vitamin A (excellent for birds), vitamin C, folate (vitamin B9), potassium, manganese, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B6, calcium (also very important for birds), magnesium and phosphorus. The leaves are more nutritious than the stalk but both are healthy and birds will enjoy both.

It's low in sugar, which is good but it's curiously high in salt, which is not so good.

Most vets will recommend celery for birds and it's a good, healthy treat. Other birdy favorites like kale and spinach are coincidentally also curiously salty, but not as salty as celery.
zivie17

Post by zivie17 »

Cool thanks for that, Indi will be very pleased :lol: