Keep food in air tight containers!!

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Keep food in air tight containers!!

Post by Lauren »

I say this because, today I have found we have a problem with Pantry Moths/Indian Meal Moths. Last night as I was saying goodnights to the birds, I noticed these worms on the wall, Eww! After researching all day, I have found what they are, as Ive never had a problem like this. Yuck!
They feed/lay eggs on anything grain, cereal, seed, nuts, pasta, flour.. BIRDFOOD!
I have just thrown out all the birdfood, the food in the pantry and cleaned and bleached the kitchen pantry (overhead cabnets) and bird area twice over! It doesnt matter how clean your house is, these buggas can lay their eggs and you wouldnt know it, because its the food you need to keep locked up tight!
I normally just keep the bird food in the plastic bags they come in, they also have a ziplock, still this is not good enough!
I am now going to invest in tupperware or some airtight containers, I already have some but now I will be putting EVERYTHING in them, I'm going to need more. I'm also going to have to go down to the hardware shop to find some moth killer traps.
We also did shopping last night, they say freezing your grains, cereal.. etc for a couple of days before putting in pantry kills any larvae that have come from the store, it even says on the 'Hagen packaging 'refridgerate after opening'? I had no idea why!! Stupid me! Always read this and do as it tells you! Who wants to eat dead moth larvae anyways? Eww!
Now I've got to run over to the pet barn across the road to get the birds some seed for now since I threw all their 'Hagen food out (which would of lasted them another 6 months or more, I had that much) :x
So I will be freezing all birdfood etc before sealing them tightly in containers now! Yuck! Lesson learned.
I hope I've seen the last of these yucky things.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lene

Post by Lene »

Gosh, Lauren... That's a hard lesson learnt...

When I first came to Australia in 1983, I used to do just as I did in Denmark, and ended up with a rubbish bin full of maggots... I still have trouble eating rice... lol..

It took me a few years to learn that everything eatable had to be in non invasive containers...

I still practise that... All eatable rubbish is also bagged separately before going in the bin..
Cheers

Lene
Melika

Post by Melika »

Since you live in a warm area like me, if you freeze or refrigerate your seed, it's best to keep it there. Taking it from the cold into a warm room can cause condensation on the seed and it can molder, since it's enclosed in a bag/bin.

Best bet is to buy small quantities, make sure the bag is still sealed when you buy it, and keep it in an airtight container.

I had some seed from a bin come home with those pesky critters, but they were sealed in a container so I stuck it in the freezer and threw the seed out. Luckily none had gotten out. Ew.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay