Cleaning a poopy smelly cage..

Moderator: Mods

Briony

Cleaning a poopy smelly cage..

Post by Briony »

hey everyone, just wondering what you guys use to clean your cages, i cant always get mine outside to hose it as its heavy and my house is a highset (double story)

Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i have my cage on a plastic kids mat, and i clean it with a brush and hot water with a little safe spray, after i have finished i use a bird friendly spray to help the smell. then i mop the plastic mat then everything is clean, Amazon likes to help, when i put the paper in the trays he likes to take them out.:)
Sharlene and Amazon
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

In the old place, we were on the 3rd story so taking the cages outside wasnt an option, I used to have them on the tiles. I just used a bucket of hot water and a scrubbing brush or scourer, then mopped the floor after, it was messy but its the only way I could think of doing it. Hot water works better than cold to get those stubborn poops off.
Now, we are in a single unit, I can take the cages outside. I still use the scourer and hot water but also throw a couple of buckets of hot water over the cages to wash off the bits I miss. (yes me bad for using buckets of water on water restrictions, but this is once a week and we save water in other areas, I think we even out :oops:) While I do this I let the birds sit inside until I've finished, hot water and birdies, not good.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Briony

Post by Briony »

thanks guys.... my birdy cage is on carpet so no big scrubs :(
amazonite, what products do you use?
thanks Briony
Bella

Post by Bella »

I use Johnsons clean n safe for birds on billys cage because its a disinfectant, cleaner and deodorant that kills bacteria and viruses i just get some paper towels and there is hardly any mess at all and its safe to use on everything :D and i also use a johnsons clean and safe for rodents too for my rats.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Poochletty

Post by Poochletty »

Grapefruit seed extract is a wonderful and safe antibacterial. I also have a large cage on carpet. I am always home so... each night I use a damp cloth to wipe down the bars quickly. Then I change the papers from the bottom. So, it is never needing scrubbing. If it did though... most pet stores (including petsmart.com and petco.com) sell a product called "POOPOFF". I've never used it, but I hear it works well. My daughter's starling's cage goes into the shower and gets a vinegar and water scrub. And believe me - starlings poop a lot and it stinks! She has the removable strainer for the drain so the poops that don't dissolve won't clog the pipes. Then we scrub the shower so it is disinfected for us again.
Briony

Post by Briony »

hmmm i wonder if the cage will fit in the shower.........

thats a good idea:)

thanks

i actually (ages ago) bought some cage cleaner stuff by a mob called whistlers.. it says its bird safe as long as the birds arnt in there... im not real sure on using it though
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Briony wrote:thanks guys.... my birdy cage is on carpet so no big scrubs :(
amazonite, what products do you use?
thanks Briony

i use eco store products they are safe for people and animals, i use those to clean his cage with water, but my cage is on carpet too so i have a plastic mat under the cage so it doesnt get teh carpet wet:)
Sharlene and Amazon
Lene

Post by Lene »

I have my cages on a slate floor... It's difficult to clean, and I'm going to get vinyl under the cages... I would do the same thing, if my cages were on carpet.
Cheers

Lene