Protien

Moderator: Mods

Wendy

Protien

Post by Wendy »

Hi folks.. I read recently that IRN's need protiena and a little meat should be added to their diets every week.. what do others feed ther fids for this protien need?
Wendy, Salem and Willow
Bella

Post by Bella »

Billy gets a little boiled chicken along with our rats and dog
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
nil

Post by nil »

i disagree to give meat to parrots because in the nature parrots dont eat it.
High protein food are beans, eggs, and nuts ( have also many fats-dont give him a lot of these), or you can use a protein supplement like proboost http://www.birdcareco.com/English/Produ ... eding.html
if he eats the above foods dont need the supplement, maybe a little in moulting period
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon always get a bit of everything that we eat, he loves ham, chicken and bits of meat he can hold. he also gets nut every so often not all the time and other veges and fruits.
Sharlene and Amazon
Tayyab

Post by Tayyab »

I personally come from Pakistan, were IRN are VERY common, you can see them in your back garden trees, EVERY morning, no matter what the weather, In my knowledge, Parrots Love Nuts, beans are ok, but in sauce arnt what they like, Eggs - eating another race of birds babies, not in the nature of IRNs, I would suggest you stick with LITTLE meat (size of your finger tip) and give it some nuts, You could also give it popcorn 8)
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Amazonite wrote: he also gets nut every so often not all the time and other veges and fruits.

I forgot that nuts were protien, I have always given Salem a few nuts each week, I also give him some cooked basmati rice, I could put a wee bit of egg in that.. I have always felt a bit funny about giving them chicken..bit like canibalism.. :roll: maybe I could hang the bone from a cooked T Bone in the cage for an hour or two for them to pick.
Wendy
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

yea wendy, Amazon loves the bones he will pick at them for ages.
Sharlene and Amazon
Tayyab

Post by Tayyab »

Amazonite wrote:yea wendy, Amazon loves the bones he will pick at them for ages.

So NExt time i eat chicken, i should let it pick at the bone?
freaky

Post by freaky »

i do. watching Sky balancing on one leg holding a chicken leg bone in the other is funny. he looks like a cave man.

as to not eating meat in the wild prove it. Sky is quite happy to chase and eat flies and spiders. and most animals in the wild will eat whatever they can.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Tayyab wrote:
Amazonite wrote:yea wendy, Amazon loves the bones he will pick at them for ages.

So NExt time i eat chicken, i should let it pick at the bone?

yea i see no harm in it at all, i will finish my dinner and he will get a bone of some sort, or before i start dinner if ihave found a big enough bone for him with out the small little bones i will give that to him to eat while i eat my dinner he loves all meat except mince its a great toy to him not food:)
Sharlene and Amazon
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

Edamame (soybeans). I buy frozen edamame and steam them for 3 minutes in the microwave. They are full of protein and PeeGee loves them. You don't have to feed them a lot, just a teaspoon or so per day.
nil

Post by nil »

Edamame (soybeans). I buy frozen edamame and steam them for 3 minutes in the microwave.

hi laannie
where do you buy them? from health stores?
Are raw?
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

The soybeans I buy are raw frozen. I buy it at the supermarket (frozen shelled Edamame) frozen foods section. I steam enough for a couple of days & keep in the fridge. Actually, I like to eat it myself, too.
nil

Post by nil »

thanks
i also like it
you do well for steam it, because raw soy has alcaloids who is hurtful, it is necessary to steam or boil it for few minutes.