What kind of water to give?

Moderator: Mods

Oliver and Justin

What kind of water to give?

Post by Oliver and Justin »

I give my sweet girl oli distilled water in the gallon.

Is it ok to give her running water to like out of the sink?

Cuase when my mom got cooper her cocketiel she said give distilled water.

???? :?: ????
-Justin
Lene

Post by Lene »

All my birds get normal tap water... If you can drink the water, you can give it to Oli.
Cheers

Lene
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

I have always given my birds natural springwater.

We 'can' drink our tap water it is city but we choose not to as sometimes it smells really bleachy.
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

hmm ok.

Well i was just wondering cuase some people say its fine for tap water and then some say its not sso

But thanks for the replys!
-Justin
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

I give Amazon tap water or water from the jug after its cooled down but as Lene said if you can drink it so can your baby
Sharlene and Amazon
Bella

Post by Bella »

billy gets tap water most of the time but he does sometimes get spring water
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

You could use tap water and filter it yourself

:)
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

We use tap water here. I cant really taste the difference between tap or bottled. :? But I wonder whether the fluoride added to our tap water would harm the birds in the long run, also zinc from the pipes can also contaminate the tap water? :? QLD has just recently added fluoride to their water, where as the rest of the country already did it years ago I think. (QLD seem to be the stubborn state here haha) :P Personally myself, I don't really care whether I drink tap or bottled, but I am beginning to wonder about the birds. Its a good question Justin. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Poochletty

Post by Poochletty »

Hi. I am new to being a parront so I will give my thoughts and opinions only - since I have no real experience yet. I give my birds bottled spring water because our drinking water is chlorinated. I know that we drink it, but I am so much larger than my bird. I imagine a small amount of chlorine won't hurt me , but would it hurt Blue?

I live in Idaho now, but moved here from Arizona 3 years ago. One summer, in Arizona, they announced on the news that the Phoenix area was to boil their drinking water or drink bottled because the arsenic levels in the the water had risen to a dangerous level. My first thought was "Gee, does that mean there was arsenic in it before but at a lower level?". Yes it did! As it turns out, there is often unhealthy stuff in our tap water. However, the departments who moniter such things are not required, nor do they rarely choose to tell us these things until it reaches a level someone considers unsafe. So, My point is that, at least here in the United States, we never know what we are drinking. Except when it is bottled and they are required to disclose the full contents. And when it comes to something like arsenic in my tap water... a little may not hurt me in anyway, but how much arsenic would poison a ringneck? I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also, Lauren brings up a good point about flouridated drinking water. I was a dental assistant and dental lab tech for many years but we never learned the effect of flouride on a bird. There are 2 types of flouride. The kind we put into drinking water systems and vitamins for little children. This kind can leave calcium type stains on teeth of people who had too much of it when they we kids. I'm not sure if there are any other ill effects. (I should have paid better attention in Dental class). Then there is the type of flouride in that is found in toothpaste and is used for topical flouride treatments. This kind is definately poisonous. In small doses, we benefit from it. But when children swallow it - it usually caused them to vomit. That's a good thing because flouride is actually a toxic byproduct of the steel industry. And a 7 oz tube of toothpaste has enough flouride in it to cause a 20 lb toddler to die if he were to eat it all. So, please never let your little ones, human or animal, get into toothpaste with flouride. And believe it or not... I use flouride. I am not anti-flouride... I just think you should be aware of the potential harm.

Oops. Sorry to take over the thread. I tend to ramble. A whole lot of info to support why I use bottled water.
Tayyab

Post by Tayyab »

The best way to filter it is by boiling the water, and then once its boiled to 100 degrees or something, (bubbles with go rapid) let it go on for around 5 minutes, by then all the dort will have evaporated, then you can let it cool down in the Fridge, or to make it faster, the Freezer.

@ Hope this helps.
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

NO TAP WATER !!!

The tap water here in Los Angeles isn't even fit for a goldfish bowl. Now they have found traces of dozens of prescription medications, like anti-depressants, hormones, pain killers, etc., in the city water (probably from people flushing stuff down the toilets). Bottled water is probably safer, although the plastic bottles have a certain toxicity.