Avairy questions, advice needed please

Moderator: Mods

2cay2

Avairy questions, advice needed please

Post by 2cay2 »

Hi everyone
I have been looking for information on housing IRNs in an aviary, but I'm not having much luck! I'm sure if anyone can answer my questions it will be you lot! :D
My main question is, can IRNs be safely kept in flocks, like budgies and cockateils?
Any other info would be welcomed as well, such as noise levels, indoor heating requirements, minimum aviary/flight size etc
Can any of you direct me to information on this?

Just so you know I am not intending to breed. I am considering taking in rescue aviary parrots and I am looking for the species I feel I could help most. (I have parrots so understand their needs) If I can help a species that will live relatively happily together I will be able to help more individuals. I have always liked the Ringnecks and there does seem to be a lot that need help. Hence my research.

Thanks in advance.

Linda :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I would not keep flocks of IRNs together unless you have a HUUUGGEE aviary. Especially as you are taking in rescue birds. Not knowing the rescue birds background, you wouldn't know if the birds like company, has been housed with birds before, the age, etc.
Also in breeding season the birds would get agressive to one another. I know of breeders who keep all males in one aviary and females in another, until breeding season then pair them off.

They can be quite vocal, especially if you have a few! :)

Size of the cage would depend on if the bird was to spend all day in there or out for part/most of it. I would get the biggest cage/aviary you can afford, that would be comfortable for the birds.
I have out door aviaries 6"dx6"hx 3"w, 8"dx6"hx3"w, and 10"dx7"hx7"w.
Indoor cages are as big as I can fit in the house. My indoor birds do not spend that much time in the cages. Mainly sleep and when I am out. :)

As a rule of thumb with bird species...same beak size can (depending on breeds and temperment) and parrots with parrots, non parotts with non parrots. I have been told budgies can be quite agressive and have read where a budgie has killed a cockateil :( But ALL birds can and will become agressive and territorial araound breeding season. Even if you do not intend on breeding birds, natural instinct kicks in and watch out!!

Good luck with your rescue efforts.

:)
2cay2

Post by 2cay2 »

Thanks for your input Pinkdevil. It is the breeding season I am most concerned about. The rest of the time most species will flock naturally but breeding season is so differant. I think I should be looking for communal breeders really, it's just that I have heard that ringnecks can be kept safely in flocks. Maybe they were seperated sexes?
Still lots of research to do, but maybe IRNs aren't the way to go for what I want to do?
They would be permanently outside in the aviary btw. And I wouldn't be mixing species because I think it's just asking for trouble. Budgies look so cute don't they, but boy can they cause damage to other birds! Lovebirds can be little bullies too!
Thoughts from anyone else would be greatly appreciated :idea: Thanks again :)
Lene

Post by Lene »

I would look into their breeding habits in the wild.
Cheers

Lene
2cay2

Post by 2cay2 »

Lene wrote:I would look into their breeding habits in the wild.

Do you know of any links? I can't seem to find this info, hence coming here :wink: Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough lol
Lene

Post by Lene »

No, unfortunately not... I have just finished watching 'the life of birds'.. Amazing... but nothing about our precious parrots...
Cheers

Lene
nil

Post by nil »

I agree that each pair is good to live alone, unless you have a big aviary. In that case you can put few pairs in.
The problem is the females who become aggressive sometimes
, mainly in the breeding season.
With appropriate conditions irns are very good breeders.
They can live in a outside aviary, in uk live some wild irns (from escapes), it is better the aviaries to have a protected area with a slight heating ( like an ifra red lamp) at the very cold days of winter.
Donna

Post by Donna »

In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
julie

Post by julie »

Last edited by julie on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2cay2

Post by 2cay2 »

Thanks so much everyone! :D
Donna - I have just ordered the Wings of Freedom DVD!
I wont be setting up the aviary for a couple of years yet, so I have plenty of time to find which species I will be able to help best. Sadly it's looking like it wont be the ringnecks :cry: It is important to me that I can help as many individuals as possible without compromising their welfare. I know all parrots squabble, but I also know they can cause serious injury or death. As the birds I take in may well have been in less than favorable conditions, I want to make sure they only have the best once with me. And that includes, as far as is possible, harmony within the flock. It would be unbareably sad to see an already abused parrot being bullied by his aviary companions :cry:
Budgies and 'tiels seem to be fairly well catered for already. Hence my search to help a different species. I am swinging towards Quakers now! They have communal nests with sometimes 40 birds in the colony. My intended aviary could accommodate this many with room to spare. Just have the noise level to way up!!!
A huge genuine thankyou to everyone who has replied :D

If you want to keep an eye on my plans you might like to save this link http://www.parrotspecies.org Sorry it's still very embrionic at the mo! But when the aviary plans start going ahead I will add a page on it on this site. As I say it will be a long time off so don't hold your breath!

Linda x