Could they get along?

Moderator: Mods

BirdLady77

Could they get along?

Post by BirdLady77 »

Hi
I'm just wondering if some of you IRN knowledgeable keepers :lol: could tell me if it is at all possible, to keep four IRNs together in a large cage......or would they all fight?

Thanks...much appreciated :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

It would depend on how large the cage is and maybe how old the birds are, also if they have already being housed together. I have pairs in each outdoor aviary and 2 young boys in an aviary. I know of breeders who keep all hens in one and males in the other and pair them up come breeding time, Others keep breeding pairs together all the time. I guess it would depend on how young they are and if they have been together for some time.
I bought 3 IRNs (2 male, 1 female) early last year and they were housed together BEFORE I had them so I left them together, but the green male was already paired with the female and chased the blue male around. The cage was big enough for the blue to keep his distance and have his own space but I ended up giving him his own aviary...and a new girl to-boot!!! :wink: I think maybe around breeding season things might get a bit feisty.
BirdLady77

Post by BirdLady77 »

Thanks Tasha.
I don't know what to do. I wanna get a couple of the IRNs from that pet shop - they've been sitting there for ages. They act as a couple but the sellers don't know if they are related or not. I also came acroos an add of a couple of IRNs ... a violet male and blue female, which are related but I still really want them too (especially the violet one).
I want all four but don't know how to go about it so that every one is happy, including my walet :cry: :cry: :cry:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

If you don't have the space for a large aviary outdoors to house them in pairs (if you have males & females) you could try keeping them in pairs indoors. If you know the sexes and not sure about the "rello" part, you could try swapping (same sex) one of the pet shop ones with one of the advert ones and try and house them together. That way you won't have related pairs.
If all else fails, do you have the space for 4 cages? You can buy cages that stack ontop of each other or stands that cater for more than one cage. That idea would only be suitable if the birds were out of the cages for alot of the time though.
What condition are the ones housed together in the petshop like? Do they seem like they are tolerant of each other or do they look picked on and stressed? Maybe until you get organised you could house them together in the largest cage you can afford or space allows. Breeding season isn't for a few months here. :)
nil

Post by nil »

hi birdlady
if you have a big aviary, i think at least 3*3m, you can put there the 2 pairs, but the golden rule is a pair alone in a cage, seperately from others.
Otherwise there is the danger of injury and even kill.
Mainly the females and especially at breeding season become very aggressive with other birds.
BirdLady77

Post by BirdLady77 »

Thanks Nil & Tasha.
So now I am really stuck in the mud...what to do...what to do...

What do you think of this cage?? Could I have 4 in this one or at least 2???
(let me know if the link doesn't work ok)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=012
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I probably would not put 4 into that cage. Just incase they fight, there is no where for the birds to hide or get away from each other. Some birds like to claim a large area as their own. I think that a pair would be fine, providing they get along well together.

I like the cage, nice sized door, open top for playing etc. Ease of cleaning and great mobility. If the birds were to be housed in it for long periods of time, a cage longer rather than higher would be better as the birds can fly across the cage instead of trying to fly upwards. But if that is more suited to your place than it is a great cage. Much better than a small one.

:)
nil

Post by nil »

I agree with pinkdevil this cage is ok for a pair but not for all.
I try to find cages with horizontal bars no vertical because irns labour to climb in verticals, your cage has 2 sides vertical and 2 sides horizontal bars ,and also the bar spacing 2,5 maybe is enough high .
But i think this cage is enough good.

nice site with a lot of lovely birds, my congrats birdalcoholic lady :)
BirdLady77

Post by BirdLady77 »

:lol: Thanks Nil & Tasha :lol: I really appreciate your opinion on the cage...I was scrathcing my head not knowing what would be a good cage.I appreciate your advice!!! Cheers :D