Corn on cob how to cut

Moderator: Mods

Lene

Corn on cob how to cut

Post by Lene »

I find it extremely difficult to cut through the cob... Maybe I need to use a saw?

How do you guys do it?

I want to put them onto skewers, but I don't want to give any of the birds a whole ear.

I have bought a very small rechargeble drill to make holes in the hard vegies (used for food only), but need to be able to cut the corn into 3-4 pieces.

Thanks for all advice.
Cheers

Lene
nil

Post by nil »

my birds love corn cob, so i give them fresh corn day by day in the summer and keep many of them in the freeze for the rest of the year ( 1-2 times a week)
i hang a whole or a half of corn in cages or i cut corn into small pieces and put them in bowl.
For that i cut cob in rounds ( 1-2 cm thickness) )with a knife and then i cut each round ( cross like) in 2 or 4 pieces.
If the corn is fresh,tender and unriped the cut with a knife is very easy, maybe your corn isnt.
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

Halving it is usually easy enough just snap it in two with your hands but other than that I could see it being pretty tricky!!
Perhaps try for smaller thinner corn and then after snapping it it would be a small enough serving??
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

I just snap an ear in half and put them in the bottom of the flight-- each ringie will destroy a half ear in less than a day. Tiels eat a little less (but I have more of them) and the budgies go through them as if they were locusts.
I never tried to do anything more "delicate", since I have such little pigs!
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Usually if I cant snap it first go, I will cut just a little into the cob with a cerated knife.. just enough to snap it. I cut my cobs into portions. Sometimes you can get tough cobs though! This is when I yell out to the man of the house who always seems to have no trouble with corncobs! :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lene

Post by Lene »

Thanks everyone... :D
Cheers

Lene
bec

Post by bec »

a good sharp bread knife works well
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

You need a good sharp kitchen knife! Like a chopping knife or ginsu knife. Cut the ear of corn into slices, like wheels. My PeeGee will hold the slice in her claw and munch on the raw corn, then throw away the cob. Fresh raw corn is her favorite food. By the time she's through, she's got corn all over her beak and face!