Creative ideas?

Moderator: Mods

Bella

Creative ideas?

Post by Bella »

Does anyone have any creative ideas (pictures are a plus too :D ) Things that i can do in billys cage :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

I want pics. of the cage before I will share pics of mine.. haha..
Natural (safe) branches are great in a large cage my boy loves his apple branches now he's given his cage a chance he just loves scaling the diagonal one and perching on the upper one.
Hanging bird safe items on long lanyards for them to pull up etc are a favorite here too...
Have fun decking out your new cage!! My boy is pretty active in his cage always busy trying to get into mischief..
Bella

Post by Bella »

Here is billys cage now :)
And billy on his play gym
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
wannabe

Post by wannabe »

That is humongous!! :lol:
You could do tons with it..!!
Here is a picture of my somewhat minuscule cage compared to yours (haha) and some ideas I like to keep the space but don't want him bored either so I rotate his hanging toys and rope toys.
I definately think a few branches in yours would really look great.

Bella

Post by Bella »

Yeah thats cool i like the idea of some rope perches and branches
Donna

Post by Donna »

Make a whoop ball only on a smaller scale for outside the cage fun.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Donna

Post by Donna »

I think we should have a DIY forum for people with great ideas to post there toy making projects on.

Just a thought! :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
leo

yea

Post by leo »

yes donna...

it will be good...alot of new owner don't know what to give their parrot to play and how to put the toy...

it will be very constructive and good on idea sharing... :lol:
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Bella

Post by Bella »

I agree i think its nice to make something for your fid that isnt sold in a shop and can be made with their favourite things.
nicola24

Post by nicola24 »

i have been searching around the net and seeing what i could find to make toys at home for oscar and i come across someone who had used and old wooden clothes horse. they plaited strips from an old tshirt and then tied it all together to make a net for the bird to play on aswell as buying some random plastic and wood toys and rope and made the whole thing into a playgym it was amazing. i also read that you can use milk bottle lids and old plastic lids off of a hot chocolate jar and things like that aslong as they are thouroghly clean. im from england so i dont know if the milk and jar lids are different in all the other counrties.
i also found out that you can use pine cones aslong as they are cleaned thoroughly and germ free. i cant remember the address for the site but i will try and find it again and post it so you can see the photos.
nicola24

Post by nicola24 »

i also bought some little bits of coloured wood and plastic from the pet shop today so im going to use the rope from his old toys which are at the minute quite boring and im going to make him some new stuff to play with so i will post some photos once ive finished.
Nicola + oscar.
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

I have decided to share soem photos of Amazons cage which gives him loads of fun, but then again he is out of it all day and only goes in when he feels tired or wants to play.

The pictures might not be the best but you get the idea

and this last photo is the very top of his cage under his feeding bowls.

I try and change his cage around every month so he has a different set of toys to play with and his ropes get put in different places, he seems to like this as long as his food bowls stay the same.

Sharlene
Sharlene and Amazon
bec

Post by bec »

i posted some picks of home made toys in photo forum yesterday under "cheap but interesting toys"
please let me know what you think
Bella

Post by Bella »

bec wrote:i posted some picks of home made toys in photo forum yesterday under "cheap but interesting toys"
please let me know what you think

Thats great bec ive seen those toy baskets around ill have to get one next time i see them :D Fantastic ideas
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Lol how did I miss this thread, Billy's cage is huge! I love it, and I wanna get in there, hehehe :oops:

How much did you buy it for?
Bella

Post by Bella »

Yeah hes a spoilt little bugger lol I got it on ebay for £107 i think, it was £136 all together with delivery. Bargain :lol: Its like 6ft 5 and i can even climb through the door :shock:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

hahaha i see cages like that in Pets at Home. they are SOOO big! i say to my boyfriend "you could keep a few kids in that one" because the door is so big
Bella

Post by Bella »

Yeah i was looking at one in there the other day but the price was just as big as the cage was :roll:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

we went shopping yesterday and bought the animals new toys and treats. got some pics of spits cage to show. i think it looks awsome now.

this is the new arrangement. we left his old perches in, even his now fluffy rope perch.

bought this massive one for £10 from the pet shop where we got Spit from. he swings around trying to unthread all the string. the smaller one i got for a pound from Wilkinsons

this is the other side. we got him a new bell, where he can see the bell inside (he likes to try get them out) without a mirror this time, so he doesnt go mad. a new cement perch for his nails. he likes to rub his beak on it aswell. some of the others are just cat toys tied up with string that i got from the pound shop. he likes to headbutt them :?

think he enjoys it. he seems happier :)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

p.s... ignore the bowl in the bottom lol. i forgot to take it out last night after his bath. i baked him a cake last night and hes dumped it in the water and its made a bit of a mess haha
Bella

Post by Bella »

i want to go out and find billy some branches but i dont know what trees to look for and living in a busy town its even harder :roll: I know fruit trees are ok but i dont know where to go to find them and im going to go find some cat toys like yours ryelle :)
giantfoot_truck

107 pound.. that is like about 795 riyal..
Here huge cage like could cost like 1500 riyal or something.. :shock:
Bella

Post by Bella »

giantfoot_truck wrote:107 pound.. that is like about 795 riyal..
Here huge cage like could cost like 1500 riyal or something.. :shock:

:shock: Wow
Can you order from ebay? They do fantastic cages on there and in the auctions you can get a real bargain
Bella

Post by Bella »

Ive made a swing for billy today. Its a clothes hanger from some of my sons clothes i just bent the metal hanger bit into a circle so it doesnt fall off and he was on it straight away. its only plastic so he will be watched with it so he doesnt hurt himself but he seems to like it :D
And we had a little move around too :)
giantfoot_truck

Give me your cage now!! LOL :lol: :oops:

Really, I want one like it, just one, then Lovy and Leepo can live together in there, since they are starting to like each other.

Even if I find it on eBay I don't think they will ship to this country, and even if yes it would be much more expensive, from the delivery and stuff...
Bella

Post by Bella »

awwww id like a friend for billy but if they didnt get on and live together the other would have to have billys old small cage :?
Billy was really good earlier too he stepped up onto my arm for the 1st time on bare arm :D
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Some great ideas there!

I bought Jibbys cage off ebay, thinking of buying another from the same seller for Yoda.

The only thing I have troubles with setting up a cosy home, is that no matter where I put perches they always seem to sleep over their water and food bowls. Try and keep perches, swings and ropes away from food and water because they will poop in it and contaminate it. :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Bella

Post by Bella »

Lauren wrote::D Some great ideas there!

I bought Jibbys cage off ebay, thinking of buying another from the same seller for Yoda.

The only thing I have troubles with setting up a cosy home, is that no matter where I put perches they always seem to sleep over their water and food bowls. Try and keep perches, swings and ropes away from food and water because they will poop in it and contaminate it. :roll:

Im having problems with poop in the water and none of his perches are over the food or water but he still gets poop in it. If anything there is one closer over his food :roll: Im sure he stands in the side of the water bowl and does it :evil: :lol:
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i ended up putting Amazons bowls up high so he cant poop in them, and there is nothing over them, they not where the little doors for the bowls are meant to be i got sick of changing the food and water every 2 seconds, i will have to find a photo
Sharlene and Amazon
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i found a photo, of Amazons cage with a make over:)

This is his make over cage

And because his nails need a slight trim and he deserved a new swing here it is.

I only like the concrete swings the other ones colour him a different colour
Sharlene and Amazon
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

haha Amazonite i see toilet paper rolls in the background!!! :lol: so i take its not just my bird who loves ripping them up :roll: :lol: wat a relief haha :wink:
Reearn nd Birdbird
Aces Wild

Post by Aces Wild »

Hope you don't mind me bumping this up but I LOVE the idea of putting the toilet paper rolls on the rope! That is awesome! I am def. going to do that!
Bella

Post by Bella »

Yeah i like that idea too. Billy loves to shred toilet rolls up onto a clean carpet :evil: he always takes it to the top of his playtop and throws it over :lol: Ive just added some new bits in billys cage ill take a few pictures now then post them :D
Bella

Post by Bella »

I got some baby toy links for billy i thought they are nice and bright and he like to swing them (ps they are very secure and strong)
And thought id hang some off the mirror he loves because he loves to swing the chain on that too
And some building blocks this is how they started
And how they ended
He loves them
BigChicken

no paper rolls!

Post by BigChicken »

I love all of the creative ideas, great cage pictures too. I only have one negative thing to mention, and I hesitated because of all of the good creative vibes going on in this post but… The paper towel and TP rolls are a no no. The glue used to make them contains zinc, very bad for birdies. I use to give them to my Luckybird; he would destroy them stopping only to stick his little head inside the tube to yell (he liked to hear the echo!).
Crazyratwoman

Post by Crazyratwoman »

Here's my contribution... Amazingly i got given this cage off a friend who had to rehome her Ekkie.

Petey looks so tiny in it! i'm sure its big enough for a friend hehehe...

I wrapped sisal rope around the tiny rungs on the ladder on the top, it makes it so much easier to climb for them! and they love to pick it...

Every few days he also gets a branch of bottlebrush or grevillea, as does Pepsi's cage.
Bella

Post by Bella »

That looks a great set up crazyratwoman :D
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Miss_kaos wrote:haha Amazonite i see toilet paper rolls in the background!!! :lol: so i take its not just my bird who loves ripping them up :roll: :lol: wat a relief haha :wink:

lol yup Amazon loves anything that he can get his beak into
Sharlene and Amazon
azringneckfound

Post by azringneckfound »

These ideas are great. Our IRN does not play in his cage at all. I can still use the ideas on his perch. I see all your birds have such great homes. Its nice seeing them so well taken care of...
Aldeleen

Hi all

Post by Aldeleen »

Donna, i think that getting a form for Birdy IDEAS are an AWESOME IDEA!

I have a bit of a headache with my Blue Chicken.... I have spend so much money on toys -- perches ladder and bells..... plastic, wood, rope ect..

But my dear child doesn't want to know anything-- i brough 'BRIDY BORIDOS' with treats in the middle-- yet no attention given.... the only reaction i get is a nasty fight with the bells.... and its not in appreciation!

he just doesnt take to toys-- and i mean NOT AT ALL!

He has started shredding magazines in the corner of my room next to the dressing table... he then crawls under the dressing table-- hell knows what he is up to??? he shredds the mags in tiny tiny pieces and its all over the place-- i cannot get him away from there--

HE RUNS OUT, DOWN THE LADDER TO HIS 'NEST'.... THEN HE STAYS THERE FOR HOURS ON END.. i though that if i take the mag away he will stop-- NAA AAAH he chews on the carpet... FREEK i cant have that-- so i put the mag back-- he has now shredded the 3rd mag!!!!!

if i close the door he will run up and down up and down infront of the door and scratch like a dog to get in!!!

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO--- DO you guys think that i should stop him from going there or just leave him until the facination fades... it has gone on for months now........ ? or how do i get him to lose interest or to get him to be fisated on something else?
leo

Post by leo »

may be give him toilet roll...like amazons'
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

I decided to make misfit a perch or parrot stand... but I have a one year old that likes to tip things over... this could be very bad for misfit if she were to knock over his stand over on him... so I wanted something that hung from the ceiling... this is what I came up with... He loves all the rope!

Tell me what you think!

from below showing you how it attaches to the ceiling and how I draped the rope.

Una

Post by Una »

:D I live quite remote so im unable to just pop off down to the shops to get new bird toys when i need them .. having so many birds that seems to be ALWAYS, especially with the larger birds :roll: ..
So last toy drought i had to be a lil creative with a few toy making spares i had and everyday objects from the supermarket hahahaa..
Please excuse the mess on this toy.. Chook smears it with EVERYTHING and endless cleaning just doesnt seem to make much of an impact..
I used some bird friendly blocks.. threaded onto sisal rope from the hardware store and i bought dozens of infant baby spoons from the supermarket.. drilled holes in the umm whats it called? .. round spoon end bit lol (you know where the food goes :roll: lol) and then put two together end to end .. to create a little space between all the spoons i drilled out the middles of some large buttons, just so they didnt all bunch up and i could stager them better.. eek hope i explained that alright :roll:..

Chook also here having scritches under another creation, a BIG hit with everyone..
I used sisal rope.. Dog raw hide chew bones (a real hit for the chewers) and a variety of plastic containers (jelly bowls, shot glasses) Infant aeroplane spoons, and baby plastic toys that i could drill holes into easy..
thread it all together and you have instant fun (apparently) hahahaa..

ALL of the birds also REALLY LOVE hamocks.. they all use to have those snuggle huts but it got expensive after a while.. now i use polar fleece with a few rings sewn into the corners (or if im lazy i just tie it in knots lol) and then i clip it to the sides of the cage/aviarys and onto perches :D
scuse the mess.. they love lounging in them to munch their nuts :roll:

Here is another spoon and block creation.. holes drilled and then its all threaded onto wire..
and another version of the blocks and spoons with Gypsy and Leo our Rainbow Lorikeets..

I make everyne captive foraging toys also.. some of my creations involved baby spoons (the birds LOVE them) and plastic baby forks, plastic shower curtain rings that the birds could undo and pull apart.. little bits of coloured rope.. plastic chain and some bird friendly ball thingys lol
The balls i fill with dried fruits and nuts (pushing it through the lil gaps) and the birds have fun working out how to get it out also in the process undoing the shower curtain rings dropping everything to the floor for me to pick up and put back together lol
Ruby our Eclectus hen with hers
and Frankie our Sulphur Crested Too with his

EEk okay thats enough for now lol .. sorry
Cheers
Una
Pounamu

Re: Creative ideas?

Post by Pounamu »

I give mine a pack of playing cards, he loves chewin them up, also toothpicks or popsicle sticks. For a treat tie a treat to a piece of string and see if they can pull it up.
**_ASTERI_BABI_**

Post by **_ASTERI_BABI_** »

Una..you are amazing!!! :shock:
those creations are phenomenal..my jaw was dropping more and more as i scrolled down the photos hehe, you clearly put so much time and effort into these toys. those are some super lucky birds you have!
i have to say you really have inspired me to want to make my asteri something creative, i guess it will be trial and error as to what he will like but it will be fun for too - he gets to discover & play and i get to create haha.

I bought him a baby rattle yesterday with a clear ball that spins which is filled with little coloured balls..he seems to love this more than his store bought EXPENSIVE parrot toys..this rattle was $2.50 lol.

thanks for sharing those pix.

= L =
Ebony_Dusk

Post by Ebony_Dusk »

These are such awesome ideas! When my family and I went looking for toys we were shocked at how pricey they were (between $20 and $80!), so this thread has been a total life saver. Princess (our bird) now loves playing with milk and cordial bottle caps tied to ribbon and strips of poplin, and because she adores things that make noise we sometimes tie a few spare keys to the bottom of her toys so that they jingle and chime when she plays with them. She undoes most of our knots but we just retie her toys every other day.
If anyone else is making toys for their bird I'd recommend using the tops of spice jars with the milk and cordial bottle-caps, my bird just seems to adore clipping them closed and then prying them open again.
Kimberly4403

Re: no paper rolls!

Post by Kimberly4403 »

BigChicken wrote:I love all of the creative ideas, great cage pictures too. I only have one negative thing to mention, and I hesitated because of all of the good creative vibes going on in this post but… The paper towel and TP rolls are a no no. The glue used to make them contains zinc, very bad for birdies. I use to give them to my Luckybird; he would destroy them stopping only to stick his little head inside the tube to yell (he liked to hear the echo!).
Is this really true? I have been using unbleached paper towl at the bottom of my budgies cage for years, as well as many other breeders have also. In regards to toilet rolls my bird loves tearing them apart. This link is to a site that talks about using paper towl and toilet rolls in captive foraging.

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/ind ... opic=23812

Its a very controversal issue!!!!
Kimberly4403

Post by Kimberly4403 »

In regards to a DIY toys forum thats an excellent idea. We have one on the budgie forum: though i would post the link here, it may inspire you guys to create bigger versions for the IRN's

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/ind ... e=threaded
Kimberly4403

Post by Kimberly4403 »

Ooops one more thing, I use this site to get all my bird toy parts, you can make lots of fun toys for your bird with the money you pay for just one toy at a pet store.

http://www.myparrotshop.com/toy-parts-h ... tml?page=0
craftsmaster

Post by craftsmaster »

So you’re looking at cages for your parrot? They don’t come cheap, but realize that this cage becomes your new friend’s home. If you were looking for a house for yourself, you’d no doubt find the best home within your price range.

So take a second look at those cages. Regardless of whether you’re expecting to adopt a smaller bird or a larger of the parrot species, buy the largest, practical cage that fits your price range. The bigger the cage your pet bird has, the more freedom he’ll experience and the more comfortable he’ll be.
Carmel Santos
Parrot Breeders & Author of The Ultimate Guide to Parrots
The Australian Guide to Parrots