TWO QUESTIONS...

Moderator: Mods

tat2edjenn

TWO QUESTIONS...

Post by tat2edjenn »

We got our first IRN a week ago, He is the best!!!!!! He has already brought us so much joy. When we got him the lady said he was under a year old, but i ive been told many times that cause of his rings he is 2-3 years old. I was curious if there is a way to tell how old they are?? Also I am really so happy with Sam that im thinking of getting another sometime down the road. The lady we bought him from said she had him caged with a female and they didnt get along. Would it be better for me to get a male or female, I would like for them to share a cage, do to our home being small, and not having room for 2 big cages, any suggestions???

[img][img]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff304/tat2edjenn/002-1.jpg[/img][/img]
~~JENN AND SAM~~

pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

From my experience it is the female who is the "top dog" in the ringneck world. So maybe it was the female who did not like the male. I have 2 young boys (almost 12 & 18 months old) in one aviary and they get along just fine, BUT having said that when I had 2 boys and 1 girl in an aviary together (was a temperary setup till I got another aviary) one male gave the other male a hard time so I had to seperate. I think it was because a girl was involved :wink: :wink: :roll:
I have read where some breeders keep all males together until breeding time.
If you did get another bird you could try putting him/her in another cage next to Sams so they get used to each other first. Also, compatability could depend on the size of the cage they are housed together in.

:)
Grelo

Post by Grelo »

Yes like Pinkdevil mentioned Females dominate also can attack during breeding season especially the male ,if she doesn't like him...It's best(in my opinion) to house Ringneck's in a large avairy for breeding to allow any infighting males room to escape :D
Feather's are the best friend's
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww! He reminds me of my Jibby. hehe. I would say he is older than 2 or 3 years because his ring is quite developed. Are you wanting to keep him as a pet or a breeder? Because breeders dont make the best pets as they wont be tame once the right 'lady' comes along hehe. You wont be able to handle him once he breeds. But if your wanting a tame pet, I would keep him away from the females and handle him everyday. Female IRNs are the dominant of the species. They say who they want in their home. His 'lady friend' probably wasnt interested in him. Just a guess. :wink: If your thinking of getting him a friend, just realise, just like us, we don't all get along, and he may not get along with a new bird. It all depends on him I guess. :wink: But give it a go, it might work out. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
tat2edjenn

Post by tat2edjenn »

oh no im not going to breed, just a pet, and i really want a blue, and hubby wants an african grey, so we may be getting rid of some things for more cages :lol:
~~JENN AND SAM~~

Donna

Post by Donna »

I don't agree with putting them in the same cage unless your going to have them for breeding. Our pet birds need their own space or they will bond with each other and have nothing to do with humans. They like having their own toys,food and a place to call their own. Males will bond with other males and females will bond with other females it doesn't have to be m/f to make a bond.
Because your bird is an older bird be very careful introducing another bird to him, some birds just don't like other birds period..

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both