types of chillies

Moderator: Mods

alana8819

types of chillies

Post by alana8819 »

hi just wondering what types are okay to feed to birds do you mean actual chillies or capsicum? also what other types of spicy or hot foods can you give them?
Lene

Post by Lene »

Actual chillies - hot ones - the hotter the better... Just don't kiss the bird on its beak afterwards... :lol:
Cheers

Lene
dr.roseicollis

Post by dr.roseicollis »

can give spicy food like cooked spicy meat of rice?
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

thankyou lene :D i just get confused cause americans and other countries have different words for the same things :shock: its all so confusing sometimes :lol:
skibum

Post by skibum »

they love chillies
and spicy food - Max used to love eating curries when I cooked them and Ziggy seems to too.
I figure that because they are an Indian Ringneck, they should therefore like Indian food!! :D
Lene

Post by Lene »

Just be careful with all the salt in human food.
Cheers

Lene
Melika

Post by Melika »

dr.roseicollis wrote:can give spicy food like cooked spicy meat of rice?

I'm sorry, I'm in America and we're ignorant of most other cultures so know nothing. I don't know what that is. :/

Buuut, parrots can't taste the hot part, only the spicy of the peppers. I hate peppers, so now I have someone to eat the ones I grow!

I love growing peppers... nothing around here eats them outside, lol.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

hot hotter and hottest....... these birds don't have salivary glands, so the hot pepper doesn't bother them. Mine likes the little red Thai chiles, which are smokin hot. Habaneros (round green), pepperocini (italian), jalapenos (mexican), and plain old red & green peppers. All good if they will eat them. Dried chiles are fine, too. They will eat the seeds.
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

My bird (birdbird is his name :D lol) i also have just found out he is a male cos i can see little red tipped feathers coming through round his neck whoo! 8) lol not that it really bothers me wat sex he is...
anywho, Birdbird absolutely loves Frozen jalapenos!! i used to freeze them to keep them fresh (thats what a chef told me anyway) nd he just goes crazy for em, i did make the mistake of his beak rubbing on my face afterwards but! ow! :lol: it was hot :shock: haha. also i was told that chillis are a great natural wormer!! not sure if its tru but i guess it cant hurt :P
Reearn nd Birdbird
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

you should try giving your birds sour things aswell, like lemons and bitter apples and grapefruit etc. i know my fid loves them. tucks in to a half lemon and demolishes it in 10 minutes
pinkdevil

Re: types of chillies

Post by pinkdevil »

alana8819 wrote:hi just wondering what types are okay to feed to birds do you mean actual chillies or capsicum? also what other types of spicy or hot foods can you give them?

I feed my birds both capsicum & chillies when I grow them. I noticed they go crazy for both!

:)
bec

Post by bec »

i just tried chillis for kieron & riku but they will only eat them if they are cut up a little like all their other food :roll: how spoiled are two? :lol:
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

What I find odd, is Jibby will turn his nose (beak) up at some foods, but others he licks like crazy. I know they dont have the sense of taste, but what makes them like/dislike a food? :? Today Jibby was very much enjoying some of my curried rice, but normally hates anything spicy? Weird!

*edit* I just checked my 'bird owners manual' and they do have taste buds, in the roof of the mouth... down the back of the beak. They just arent as good as our sense of taste. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year