Coconut monster

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

Coconut monster

Post by Lauren »

:shock: Well, today I went to the green grocer, along with a tone of fruit I bought some walnuts in shells too, I thought I'd try giving them a coconut to tear apart as well.. but I have never seen them this terrified of a food before. They will eat walnuts, but have never had them with the shell, and the coconut they have never seen, it must look like a big scary fuzzy wuzzy thing to them, because well, Yoda is growling at it furiously and Jibby just looks terrified. and they wont touch the walnuts even though I tried showing them how to open it to get the food inside. But no luck, they just fly away screaming and growling. So I gave in and gave them back their favorites.. berries, apple and sugar snap peas which they know they get when they see the shopping bags... and now they are happy. No more scary fuzzy wuzzy coconut thing. :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lene

Post by Lene »

Hi Lauren

Did you empty the coconut, or are you just going to let them spill the fluid every where, if they get up the guts to attack it? :lol:

I would love to try a walnut with Paulie... He eats absolutely everything I put in front of him... :roll:

Gotta remember these smilies, so my posts don't sound so rude... :?
Cheers

Lene
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Oh I'm getting the best bits, the milk is for me! I was thinking of drilling a hole in it and stuffing treats in it for the birds, but they still wont go near the fuzzy thing! :roll:

Paulie sounds like Yoda. Yoda eats EVERYTHING. Jibby is a little fussy and is scared of anything new to him, he always has been.

Don't worry, you don't sound rude and you type well. :wink: Its the internet, everyones typing can be taken the wrong way, it all depends on whos reading it. I guess thats why someone invented smilies. :lol:
Donna

Post by Donna »

Lauren you can split the coconut in half and let them eat the meat and then use the shell for a toy, they make great toys.

Try almonds in the shell walnuts are too big and hard for them. :)

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
nil

Post by nil »

i used to break coconut into small pieces (about 2-3*cm) with the shell, or in big pieces like donna says.
Lazaros eat it so much and plays with the shells but my other birds dont eat it.
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

I saw in a parrot magazine where they had cut a coconut in half, drilled a hole in the top and hung it upside down with a piece of leather that had knots in it. Kinda a toy they can hang off of and eat too! If gigi wasn't still scared of anything new in his cage, I'd love to try it out.
Melika

Post by Melika »

You have so much fun with your birds it's infectious! xD
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Poochletty

Post by Poochletty »

Oh.. I love the idea of turning it into a foraging type toy with treats inside. I wonder if you drilled a few larger holes to stuff treats in and then some small ones to hang other "doodads" off from and turned it into something like a toy. Then hang it up. Maybe it wouldn't be so scary?

ImageImageImageImage
bec

Post by bec »

oh lauren i can just see it!! those to are such characters!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Now that Gigi bird seems to have gotten over his fear of toys, I'm going out tomorrow to buy a coconut!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: They still wont touch coconut. :roll: I'm keeping the shell though. I might get around to making something with it. hehe