Urgent help-- male +male???

Moderator: Mods

Aldeleen

Urgent help-- male +male???

Post by Aldeleen »

Hi there all....
I found a homeless fid, or uhm he is not homeless yet but the person is looking to sell a greeN fid, a bit unsure about the age but says that a ring is starting to show... assuming about 18months then and prob male... I would love to help the little one and take him...HOWEVER...
i have little Pi-ko which is now also about 18months... with me being unsure about his sex but think he is ALSO male.....

Ok, so now please guys,,, is it a good idea getting two birds first of all, if Pi-ko is already so attatched to me and he was handreared, will introducing and getting another fiddy traumatise him and would then (say both is males)would two males get along eventually?? they will both stay in different cages obviously

do males bond with eachother? does someone have two male???

My heart bleeds for this babe and would like to help him with a good home but my little Pi-ko come first and dont want to compromise our relationship so that i loose his trust....

PLEASE ANY ONE WITH SOME ADVISE WOULD BE APPRECIATED???? ASAP
nil

Post by nil »

first of all the birds should be in different cages, and need time to use each other.
Dont neglect piko, and spend many time with him, because he will probably jealous the new one.
It is no so easy but of coarse they can be friends.
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

I will go look at the newbie today and see for myself... shame... im in such a twist, cos i know how much work one is and two will prob just top it, but maybe Pi-ko will enjoy the company too? i dont know... :-( :( i would like to help the homeless one but i also dont want to buy him from someone only to have to give him away cos i cant handle the two of them..... and then im attatched.... suppose you never know with these situations and then again i dont even know whether they are both male???

But will go look this afternoon and make up my own opinion
Donna

Post by Donna »

The established bird(ANY SPECIES) is the #1 bird in the house and should remain so. The new bird has no idea about being the #1 bird. Jealousy can develop if that's changed.
Both birds need their own separate cages. They should be in the same room but the cages shouldn't be next to each other. Neither should feel threatened by the other. They'll start verbal communication when they think the time is right. They need to get used to the fact that another bird is nearby.
The most important thing here is to do all things ie feeding, changing water, giving treats with your established bird first. That lessens any perceived threats to being #1.
Always remember to quarantine new birds before introducing them to your existing flock

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

Thank you Donna.. i searched the forum and found your article on a similar question that before and found the advise so helpfull thank you...

But do birds enjoy eacheothers company or is it only a human "emotion" that we like to apply to our birds that the are lonely with regards to friend of their own kind???.. i ask this because i think that Pi-ko could use the company-- meaning verbal an so on during the day as im at work during the day..

I knw in the wild they are flock birds right, so do they tend then to do have the same behaviour or preverenced in captivity??
Donna

Post by Donna »

Birds do enjoy other birds companionship. You just have to be careful how you introduce them to each other and I know you already know not to put them in the same cage. But when they are out together let them investigate each other under strict supervision and I don't think you will have a problem. It's true that some birds will not like other birds and we can not force them to but in this case your bird and the bird you are looking into are both young enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Now go get that little homeless bum :D And good luck keep us posted!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Aldeleen

Post by Aldeleen »

Thank you thank you thank you so much!!!! Who would i ask for advise if all of you weren't out there!!! thank you again!!!

Happy that you say that its a good thing that they are both youngish!!! Yippeee it gives me some hope that i will manage!!!

Will do!!! Will post some pics too!!!