Gimme a good daily recipe please!

Moderator: Mods

knight76

Gimme a good daily recipe please!

Post by knight76 »

Hi all.

I recently bought an IRN for my wife (yes, a christmas pressy).

At the moment we are just feeding him/her budgie seed and I know that isnt ideal. So what are some recipe's that are easy to cook or mix up and freeze. The bird is only a few months old now and is not long eating seed.

Now bear in mind I am one of these cooks that if the recipe calls for 2/3 a cup of something I go out and measure out 2/3 a cup exactly. So I really need measurements. Not just, a bag of this, a little of that.

With all that said I am interested in the best food for the bird. Something I can cook up and use as a daily staple diet.

Also I may as well tag these questions onto the end of this post.

1) Is their feeding a case of leave their whole day's food in the bowl and change daily, or is the idea to give them breakfast, lunch and dinner?

2) Also, the recipe's I have seen dont really mention wether to cook ingredients or not, they just specify rough quantity. So with vegetables like carrot etc am I meant to cook them first or just shred them and mix with other ingredients.

That is about all for now. No doubt I will have more questions soon enough.

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers
Oh, and the IRN's name is Charlie.
Jo

Post by Jo »

My 3 yo IRN absolutely loves cooked vegetables like corn, beans, mashed potato and carrots - the little guy will actually steal these off my dinner plate. But he will happily snack on raw sliced carrot too, though sometimes it depends what mood he's in. :) Easy recipes for them is to cook up some wholemeal pasta and add heaps of fruit and vegies into it. It'll be a case of trial and error as to which is Charlie's preferred food.

You can also make muffins and bread (with wholemeal flour and ingredients as per human recipes), and add lots of fruit and veg into them as well. I've read you should cook this for twice as long as per pack contents as the added ingredients add time to the cooking.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I personally believe in fresh not cooked foods. Raw foods are so good not only for your IRN but yourself aswell. Birdy breads are good but I would only use them as treats not staples (some great recipes online).

You will get to learn your IRN and its daily routine. Mine enjoy a little fresh foods when they first wake up. I give them their main feed late afternoon as they tend to have first active time at daybreak, then rest and take naps most of the afternoon, then their second active period before sunset.

Seeds are secondary and they get a small helping during the quiet time of the day. I also believe in seeds not pellet, they naturally hull seeds so I feel they should keep doing it. I also don't like them to have too many sunflower seeds, they are fattening and rumour has it they can make some birds aggressive.

The every day fav foods for mine are, corn on the cob, apple (no seeds), capsicum (bell peppers for those in the US) sprouts, peas, carrot and banana. Every other day I give them soaked milk arrowroot biscuit and once a week I treat them with scrambled egg with the shell crushed into it. Their alltime favorite treat (i train with) is dried mellon seeds from honeydew particularly as they are larger than the canteloup.

My fids love the left over chicken bones, they pick at them and then adore to bust apart the smaller wing bones to get to the marrow inside.

Anyway, I wasn't much help for recipes, guess its because I believe in fresh more than cooked. Sorry :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

knight76

Post by knight76 »

Thanks for the replies.

So you don't cook the corn on the cob then? Do you put the entire cob into the cage or do you cut the kernels off and put them in a tray?

I am mostly just after a general recipe I can follow to mix up and freeze, it does not have to be something cooked, but just something that is a nice blend of things to keep Charlie going each day. Something I can put in his feed tin each day and know he wont keel over in a week.

What about some sanitarium wheat bix in the morning made with hot water and a little milk?
nil

Post by nil »

hang whole corn cob in the cage, or cut it into pieces . You can use fresh or frozen corn.
I also prefer fresh than cooked foods, but of coarse you can use cooked foods like beans and whole grain rice.
parrots cant digest milk, so only small quantities you must use.
I prefer also seeds from pellets.
The kyrias diet looks complete, but i believe now that supplements also need in their diets, especially Calsium,vitamins and proteins.
dont forget to hang a mineral block or a cuttlebone in cage.
knight76

Post by knight76 »

If they cant digest milk, how about yogurt?

The every day fav foods for mine are, corn on the cob, apple (no seeds), capsicum (bell peppers for those in the US) sprouts, peas, carrot and banana. Every other day I give them soaked milk arrowroot biscuit and once a week I treat them with scrambled egg with the shell crushed into it. Their alltime favorite treat (i train with) is dried mellon seeds from
honeydew particularly as they are larger than the canteloup.

OK, so if I grab some corn on cob and cut the kernels off, chop up some apples (no seeds), chop up some capsicums, chop up some sprouts, chuck in peas and some banans and chop up some raw carrot, mix all this in a bowl maybe with some romaine lettuce chucked in and this can be a good daily diet. I can freeze this and feed it daily?

Then treat with some other foods occasionally.
nil

Post by nil »

They cant digest lactose, so yogurt is ok.
I dont feed my parrots with animal products like meat, bones or milk products, except eggs, because in nature they dont eat them. Others use these, its up to you.
in case of yogurt i prefer a calsium syrup supplement ( 2 drops 1 day a week) and prebiotics ( 2 drops 1 day a week).
Also i put daily on fruits and vegetables 0,17 gr of a vitamin,minerals and protein mix supplement.
I have a bowl with seeds all week in cage and every day i give them one fruit and one vegetable , not all together,per example one day apple and carrot the other day corn and orange, and so on.
dont cut the kernels off, they eat and play with it.
dont freeze fruits and vegetables except corn on the cob,peas,rice
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I make a big fruit salad and give them all a little bit and then eat the rest :p I should probably give them more veggies...
freaky

Post by freaky »

if irn's cant digest lactose then yogurt must be a big no no.

lactose is milk sugars, and is found in almost everything, but is in all dairy stuff, cheese, yogurt, cream, butter.

as soya is bad for irn's i would forget the yogurt as there seem to be only 2 types on the market, soya based or milk based.
nil

Post by nil »

milk has lactose but yogurt is a fermented milk and contains lactic acid no lactose.
lactose has the milk and cream, and cheese and yogurt have only small amounts of it especially whey cheese.
butter ( 99% fat) has no at all.

i dont suggest milk products too
freaky

Post by freaky »

no disrespect nil,

yogurt contains milk protein, unless its soya based, for the last 9 years(since he was born) by son has been on a dairy free diet, i have the books from dietitians, recipes from most of the producers(obtain through the shops, or by phoning and asking) and all milk based yogurt contains milk protein.
nil

Post by nil »

yes all the dairy products have protein, but lactose is a sugar.
Some dairy products like yogurt ( lactose become lactic acid), cheese ( lactose go out to whey) and concentated butter have only traces of lactose.
Parrots cant digest lactose
LAAnnie

Post by LAAnnie »

I guess I can only speak for myself and my bird, PeeGee. But I've devoted a lot of time to her diet. I've had her for almost 4 years and she is very healthy & happy.

Morning: fresh fruits & veggies: apple, edamame (soybeans), grapes, raw corn on the cob (cut into slices), broccoli, carrots, hot peppers.

Keep in bowl: NutriBerries (various types). She munches on them all day long.

Human food that she loves: pasta, cooked rice, yogurt, popcorn, cereal, sips of coffee or tea from my cup. Pretty much anything I eat, but no salt or fat. I know they say no dairy, but she loves that yogurt -just a little bit.

Evening: small amount of almonds, raw sesame seeds, dried mango or papaya.

Eating is a social activity for IRN's. Eating with your bird will aid in bonding with him or her. They like to share your food (even if its just a little bit), because you are part of their flock.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Some good sites with good food and recipies (with measurements ^_~ ) explore them and feed your brain:

http://www.rationalparrot.com/diet.html
http://www.companionparrot.com/glop.htm
http://www.landofvos.com/articles/sprouts.html
http://www.landofvos.com/recipes/index.html

I bake, so I measure my stuff out too- or I used to until I began making food for the birds! xD

I'll take one or two giant sweet potatoes (or yams), clean, chop into big chunks, boil until just barely fork tender.

While that's boiling, I add any veggies I have (that aren't toxic, of course). Chop the veggies to your bird's preferred size. The amount of chopped veggies is one and a half times the amount of sweet potato or yam. So to one cup of sweet potato or yam, I would add one and one half cups of diced/chopped veggies.

Usually I finish chopping just as the potatoes are ready (you could just a mandolin or the food processor- but I like knives :twisted: ) and mash the potatoes then mix in all the veggies.

I'll also add any beans that have been properly soaked and rinsed or a cooked rice/dried veg mix (my birds don't like it on it's own :? ). Every other batch of so I'll sprinkle some ceyanne pepper on top for that little bit of spice that parrots love.

Then I spoon it all into ice cube trays and freeze. When it's frozen, I put it in ziploc freezer bags. A serving is one cube for our little guys. ^_^

I usually give some mash to the birdies after it's made, nice and warm. It's one of their favourite things. :D

I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay