Where do i keep my IRNs?

Moderator: Mods

Marsha

Where do i keep my IRNs?

Post by Marsha »

We bought two female IRNs a day ago. i am so excited as i've wanted to have one for a long time. they are both around 7 months old. someone told me that it is not good to keep the birds in the house if u are prone to colds or had asthma in the past. they suggested i keep them in the balcony. in the hot mid.eastern weather...they are bound to roast. i prefer them in the house where they are treated as family. Does it matter then if they are kept indoors?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I keep mine in my room, but that's mostly because people complained of the mess. (tsk tsk tsk) Before that I had them in a room that got used a lot so they were used to people. I'd think you'd want to keep them indoors because of the wild animals.
Clare

Post by Clare »

Probably depends on where you live and the climate. I would worry about snakes here, but I choose to keep mine in my lounge room, becuase I spend most of my time at home in that room, and there is plenty of space for their big cages.

I also choose not to lock mine up, so the lounge is safe and escape proof, plus when its hot I put the fan on for them. I wouldn't interact and play with them as much if they were outside.

They do make a LOT of mess though. :lol:
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i have asthma and cookie stays inside too many wild animals that could scare him to death he comes out in the cage if im out (too scared when out of cage) to get some sun but he doesnt bother my asthma occasionally i think he smells all birdy my partner can never smell it though :oops: if you want your bids inside put them inside
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

During a moult they can leave down feathers everywhere, but its nothing a good vacuum wont fix. Or if your really concerned about the air inside, there are some air purifiers on the market that are bird safe..
http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/iqair/index.html

Some information on feather dust/powder down..
http://birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww59e.htm

I keep mine inside because I can control the environment in here, but outside they are subject to weather and neighbourhood cats, also we have crows that like to terrorize all the birds in our block, including trying to knock out our windows to get to our birds safely inside! If its a nice day, I put them on the balcony in their cages for sunlight and to air the house out. :wink:
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Thanx for ur replies. the birds stay inside! :D
julie

Post by julie »

apart from the aviary birds mine are inside too. They do make a little bit of a mess but not too bad.
MGA828

Post by MGA828 »

I have a total of 5 birds in my home and all are different species one being an IRN - I also have asthma and all my birds are kept inside my home in rooms that are used the most. I have no problems with my asthma at all. Honestly, I much rather my birds to be inside instead of outside because I will be around them more and they will get alot more attention. It is fun for me this way and fun for them.
"We only part to meet again"