Covering the cage at night......

Moderator: Mods

ElliottsMomma

Covering the cage at night......

Post by ElliottsMomma »

My baby will be kept in the familyroom and I wanted to know if I should cover the cage at night or if it is best to leave the room and shut off the lights at bed time??? Also my husband and I are both night owls so could we push his bedtime back to like 11pm or is that too late??
nil

Post by nil »

hello
i prefer to live her alone in room without lights for sleep or even to cover the cage with a dark color cloth (must be openings for air supply),but not push him to 11 pm, it is too late.
The birds must sleep as soon as possible when it is getting dark outside and must wake up when the day breaks
Clare

Post by Clare »

I keep my two in the lounge room and I stay up until 10:30 most nights, with the light on. One of my birds goes to bed (fav sleeping perch) at 8:30 every night on his own, the other goes to bed when the go lights off. I cover the cage and they wake up when we do, about 7:30am. If I forget to cover them, they let me know at about 6am, with a few wake up calls. :D
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

We stopped covering Jibby last year. He hated it, and seemed to have more night frights covered. We too go to bed at 11pm. We've got nowhere else to put them as we're in a tiny unit. So they have some light on till 11. We try only putting a dull lamp on. So its not a glaring light on them. They don't seem to mind though. Its more the noise from the tv that annoys them. Jibby will tell me if the tv is too loud with lil grumbles. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

My 2 seems to sleep well into the morning if the blinds are shut and my partner doesn't wake them when he gets up for work. If I forget to shut the blinds they let me know its time to get up! :roll:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Ohhhh...so that's why Rufus always grumbles when I turn the light off at 1:30. *gulp* I've been covering him though. He's my little alarm clock. :p He always wakes me up at 8 sharp.
Melika

Post by Melika »

They can fit your schedule, as long as they get enough sleep. I don't need to cover Hane, but I also have blackout curtains (so I can sleep too!) and Hane doesn't really wake up until I do and open the curtains. The fish tank light usually goes off around eleven/eleven thirty.

They're GRUMPY if they don't get enough sleep!

I used to read all night in my room fairly often but Hane will begin his morning calls if I turn on the lamp... family gets angry, so now I read downstairs. My sister too, Tsume does the same thing to her.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yeah..whenever I go in my room to get something and turn the light on. He picks his head up, glares down at me from the top of the cage (he always sleeps up there, so there's not much point in covering his cage) and the he gives me a reproaching growl. My other birds in the living room I've been covering up with a thick blanket and making sure that the lights in that particular room are off because my brother is usually in the room next to it until 3 AM talking to his girlfriend and playing guitar and stuff...
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Amazon doesnt get covered at all the lights stay on in the lounge but i nthe room he is in the lights are off, he still gets light from the lounge but doesnt care he goes right to sleep. Then again since he was 7 weeks old he has never been covered and sleeps with the lights on.
Sharlene and Amazon
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

i cover cookie otherwise he wont sleep i put him in his cage at 8 30- 9 and cover him we got to bed late most nights but he stays asleep cookie wakes at about 730-8 every morning but with daylight savings he has been sleeping in.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

I don't cover any of my birds anymore, unless I'm being up especially late some night.

The ringnecks are always lights out right now at 7 pm, up at 6 am. The pets are different; if they are out of thier cages, my lory plays with my ekkie until I separate them. If they are in their cages, my lorikeet puts herself to sleep at 7:30/8 pm and my ekkie gets to bed at 9.