cookie bird treat recipe

Moderator: Mods

BigChicken

cookie bird treat recipe

Post by BigChicken »

Try this cookie bird treat recipe. This recipe is modified from a vegan cookie recipe I tried. They were awful, but they inspired me to make this one for my birds. I think I’ll call them "Norma Jeans". My flock LOVE them!
In a food processor;
apple sauce, unsweetened ½ cup
Bananas, ripe 2 cups
puree then add ;
raisins ½ c.
pulse until raisins are about ¼ of their normal size. Separately in a large bowl combine;
whole or cracked wheat ½ cup
rolled oats 2 cups
baking soda 1 tsp.
flaxseed 2 Tbls.
Pour in the banana mixture and fold until well blended. Spoon onto a sheet tray in 12 equal portions, flatten slightly and bake 275 degrees (F) for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Divide each cookie into 8 portions. They can be frozen.
Yield; 96 portions
25.75 calories, .8 grams protein, 3.15 grams carbohydrates each portion.
Let me know what your birds think!
nil

Post by nil »

it looks tasteful,
when i ll found free time i ll try it.

were careful bigchicken with the raisins. Raisins (sun dried) usually contains high levels of conservatives (sulfur).
If you cant find organic raisins or you dont sure for that you can boiled raisins to reduse the sulfurs.
BigChicken

Thanks nil

Post by BigChicken »

Thanks nil. I actually eat some of them myself, not to bad, but I’m use to that "healthy crap"! Never thought to mention organic, that’s almost all my birds get. There is a co-op that I shop at right on my way home from work that has all organic fruits and vegetables, and a nice "bulk " foods section that has all types of organic grains and nuts. I make up my own seed mix, similar to the pet store mixes, but all organic. I toss in a little of the pet store mix for the variety I can’t get at the co-op.
For a little dried fruit, I throw in the "people food" organic mix stuff. It’s pretty expensive, but they only get a small amount.
That brings up a good question, what about the dried hot peppers that are in some of the pet store mixes. My birds love them, they dip them in their water and tear them up, eating about half, and shredding the rest. I know that practically none of the mixes are even human grade, which is why I try to make my own. My birds eat at least as good as me, and I eat as healthy as I can. Even the human food dried peppers are processed with sulfur. What do you think?
nil

Post by nil »

i know that the most sun dried fruits contains high lever of sulfur (raisins,apricot,papaya,...). But there are few without. Generally fruits with bright, all same colors contain sulfur.
the reason for adding it is to stabilize color and to stop the bacteria growth because of high levels of sugars,that fruits contain.
i dond know pepper, maybe dont have sulfur, i think.
the sulfur used at the time of dried, so if you can, buy fresh peppers and dry them in the air for few days.
i cant find organic seeds here and i am not trust organic fruits , just i dont beleive them.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yum yum, thank for the recipe. Love making birdy treats.:D Its a pity I can't cook for myself or eat as healthy as they do! hehe

:shock: Thankyou for the tip Nil. Yodas been pecking at the bowl of raisins on the bench.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Melika

Post by Melika »

Is this a hard or soft cookie? And how long would they keep at room temp, do you think?

I love to bake and the recipe looks great! Thank you for sharing it!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
BigChicken

ccooooikkkieeee....

Post by BigChicken »

They are kind of chewy, a little dry by human standards. I just freeze the whole batch leaving out one or two. They are just a treat because of the high fruit content, so one cookie is good for maybe three IRNs for about two days. I don't serve them every day. I think they would probably keep for only a day at room temperature, probably at least a week in the fridge. They are low in fat so they get stale faster than human food cookies.