emergency travel kit.

Moderator: Mods

BigChicken

emergency travel kit.

Post by BigChicken »

Didn’t know exactly where to post this, diet and housing is my best guess! It dose involve both diet and housing….
We just got done with our house inspection for our fourth adoption for an IRN this tine, and it all went well. I started thinking that I should pass along a tip. PEAC recommends an emergency travel kit. A lot of thought went into ours; and I came up with a few ideas in addition to what they recommend. You may not have time to think, let alone gather supplies, as well as your animals should an emergency arise such as a fire, flood, or even an extended power outage.
Right next to the cages and the exit door in a large duffel bag;
* Pillow cases. Should there not be time to wheel out large cages, these are a quick way to gather animals while helping to keep them calm.
* Lantern and extra batteries. I found one that has a car lighter charge cord and flasher as well, and a second light that has a radio, solar charger, and a hand crank charger.
* Bottled water, enough for at least three or four days.
*Food; sealed watertight containers of seed, pellet, a variety of dried fruits, and treats.
A brain storm! I bought several small cans of mixed vegetables, the ones with pull open metal tops. One can is enough for three or four birds, and no leftovers to worry about incase there is no refrigeration.
*Food and water dishes.
*Toys; incase you have an extended stay away from home; these can help to calm your stressed bird.
*A Dow rod. Moving a stressed bird around in an emergency may be faster this way. You don’t know how they might react with any loud noises or flashing lights, not to mention their reaction to any stressed vibes you may be putting out!
*Spray bottle for bathing; keep it empty in your kit to ensure it’s sterile.
*Paper towels for cleanup.
*Newspapers.
*Pictures and descriptions of all of your animals sealed in plastic bags. In the confusion of an emergency you may not have time or any access to PCs or cameras should you get separated from your flock.
*First aid kit, for your birds as well as you.
*Hot water bottle. Incase you end up somewhere that has hot water, but no heat.

Also close by, a fire extinguisher, travel carriers or small travel cages and blankets.

Any other ideas?
Donna

Post by Donna »

That's great advise Big C I can't think of anything you left out :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Melika

Post by Melika »

For canned veggies, if you haven't already, you should check the sodium content. You want canned foods without salt or extra preservatives.

Since I live in FL, I guess things I would add for here (hurricanes, ya know) would be:

disinfectant and dish soap (to protect me and the pets)
garbage bags (for waste, etc.)
if needed, medical records/medicines your pet is on in waterproof container

and way ahead of time, arrange safe houses (friends in different states, or places, you can retreat to).

We have ours set up, though it's quite large since we have four dogs, two IRNs, and some more birds in the aviary. You have to prepare for the disasters that hit your area, so some of these things might not be in your kit. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
BigChicken

Post by BigChicken »

Good suggestions… Yes on the added salt, I never use them for everyday feeding. I should throw a bottle of whiskey in there too, uh.., for sterilizing stuff… ummm yes ,,, thats it, not for drinking or anything…
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Fantastic advice. Thankyou! Maybe we could make this a 'Sticky'? Thoughts fellow admin? :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
WasasMum

Post by WasasMum »

with a cyclone brewing on the coast as we speak, I am putting my kit together right away.

Thank you so very much for your idea. I have often thought of my exit plan in case something horrible happens, and I do have a travel bag packed at all times for Wasa, however I never thought of quiet a few things there

Thanks again for sharing - if it only saves one family and their babies, it is well worth the time posting.
effekt

Re: emergency travel kit.

Post by effekt »

Not only is this wonderful advice but also a great reminder to get an emergency kit together.

I'm going to assemble a kit right away, before my new IRP comes home in 2 weeks.

Thanks again!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Here in England we get a bit complacent about emergencies and bags for the easing of: But if an ermgency happened l would grab the bird and the clock off the mantelpiece.
MissK

Post by MissK »

We all have that one thing we love so much!

Because I have a small car and a large "family" I found it necessary to make a stow chart. I physically packed the car with all the travel cages, the water, the food, etc, and a wee duffel for myself. Then I carefully drew the interior of the car and where each animal should go, both to fit them in efficiently and also to make sure that, as much as possible, they would be good neighbors.

I keep this information in a red notebook along with nice tips on how to get out of town the fastest in any direction and other pertinent info. The book is in the bedroom closet, with the travel cages, my medical equipment, the dog bag, my wee duffel, and precious little else.

I would say to those making plans, "Don't forget some sheets to cover the birds." Sheets can help protect them from sun, wind, and frightening sights. I would hope they would also do some small part to protect against transmittable disease, in the event your birds get warehoused with someone else's.

For those traveling very light and fast with more than one bird to carry, the bird backpack might be considered.
http://www.celltei.com/pakobird.html

My emergency travel plan snag is the spare container of gasoline. Not only is it something we want to protect while driving, it always smells. The smell tells me the highly flammable fumes are not completely contained. As if this were not enough worry, those fumes would likely do in my birds, and maybe me too, on a trip. I have used several gas cans, and they all smell. What tips do others have for me?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Missk, Roof racks!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hahaha! Roof Racks Rock!

But my little hatchback doesn't have them. :( Small matter, I'm pretty short. I actually cannot reach to wash the whole roof.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

A Boot rack or a rack on the back of the hatch back you could strap the petrol can on it and when you dive off you leave the smell behind, or you might be better off with a trailer, and then you would not need your wee duffle bag! And you could take a step ladder to reach the whole car roof.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Both creative ideas, and something to explore. Thanks!
-MissK