Oranges and Peel

Moderator: Mods

Clare

Oranges and Peel

Post by Clare »

My IRNs love oranges, especially the peel. Even better, they love to eat the peel after a few days. I clean the food scraps daily but if they find some peel I have missed they love it. I am getting lazy with cutting orange now and I just give them half an orange in the morning and throw it out a few hours later. Oranges are only $1/kg so its cheap for me :D

Does anyone know about how healthy the peel is? I always wash the oranges.

Here is Petey enjoying his orange.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww! That is soo cute! I'm sorry, my 2 hate orange. When I try giving them it I cut them into wedges and they take one lick and walk away.

Does Petey love those coloured twisty things too? Jibs and Yoda LOVE theirs. They are so hard to chew through which is fantastic! Even Jibs has found a new toy to play with! I think they were 2 dollars at the Warehouse. I put sticks in them too. :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Jim

Post by Jim »

It's fine for the bird to eat orange peel as a component of a balanced diet. Their nutrient composition is different from the rest of the orange but it is believed to contain both cholesterol lowering and anti-carcinogenic compounds. I think most people don't eat it, except grated in small amounts as part of some recipe, simply because we don't like the taste and texture.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Clare

Post by Clare »

Thanks for the info Jim. :D

Lauren I got that twisty ball (and a few spare ones) for $1 at the warehouse and just push paddle pop sticks through the holes. Makes heaps of mess though!
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

My horse love oranges I get them free all day do we use alote of oranges. When I give them to my horse she eats it peel and all. I like to give it to them more during the cold weather I find I have healthier horses becouse of it. I never did try the IRNs I will from now on.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Mine like oranges, but I never tried the peels.

You are lucky oranges are so cheap where you are. I am in USA and oranges cost US$ 1.99 per pound!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yeah.. oranges are one of the cheapest fruits available here in Australia. My breeders and pets love them.. its fed basicly to them all year round.

When I cant get them from a friend who has year long tree's, I buy them.. most it usually costs is about $2 a kilo.

Adelaide is the world of the market gardner... so often can buy 3kg for $2.