House to Cage - Help Please

Moderator: Mods

Gemstone

House to Cage - Help Please

Post by Gemstone »

Since i have had Amazon from 7 weeks old he is now one, and has never been locked in a cage he has always had free run of the house manily because someone is home all the time.

I am now moving this weekend and noone will be home during the day so im looking at getting a big decent cage for Amazon, how do i convince him that he needs to be in his cage during the day while myself and my partner are at work, when we get home i will let him out, but for those 8 hours a day how can i do the transfer from running free in the house to being locked in a cage all day.

Please help me, i dont want to lock him in his cage but its safer for him and might fix his naughty behaviour aswell, i dont want him thinking that im putting him in his cage because he is naughty, because the cage we have for him at the moment only gets used if he bites etc.

I dont want him to be scared of a cage as i have to put him in it during the day.
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Let him explore the new cage. Try putting some treats in there. Then once its not a threat, I would start putting him in the cage at night for sleeping and for a few hours a day while your there. Fill the cage with toys. Make it a happy place. Somewhere inviting. Any fave toys?
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
greeny

Post by greeny »

Feed him in it. Put all his food in there and let him come in for it. He will soon learn that cage is a great place to hang out!! I would start with some very preferred treats, whatever his favorites are.

Since he's used to being out all the time you'll have to go with a big cage. If you can I would try and make the new cage totally different (color, shape, whatever) than his "time out" cage. hopefully he won't think the new one means he is naughty.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Well i went to see my mum yesterday and they brought Amazon a really big cage one you would put a cockatoo in, i have put it near his gym with food and water on top he loves exploring it and well is very protective of it so its his, i have to get more toys for his cage as all his ones are attached to the gym and is no point taking them off because the babies are goign to use them.

We move in a few days i dont think im going to have a problem with how he is playing round the cage at the moment.

Thanks very much all
Adam and Dude
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

Well i have moved house and put lots of things in Amazon's new cage ropes and toys food adn places to sit, he is loving it im so happy its working out, he was closed in the cage for the first time last night and didnt get angry i let him out for a shower and a cuddle before work and then put him back in closing the door saying see you after work got home and he was chatting away.

I swear he says hello but i will find out soon i think
Adam and Dude