Question about weight??? Help!

Moderator: Mods

MGA828

Question about weight??? Help!

Post by MGA828 »

Okay guys - I have a very serious question about Rigneck weight. I have been reading up on average weight for IRN's and my IRN seems to be way out of the range.

I have a 5 month old female and I just now weighed her and she is 142g, is that way to much for her age? The thing is she doesn't at all look over weight or feel that way when I check her body. She looks a good healthy weight to me. Could maybe she just be a larger IRN, when I got her she was 128g.

Any thoughts on this???
Donna

Post by Donna »

These are Approx. gram weights
Ringnecks & Other Parakeets

African Ringneck 105
Indian Ringneck 115
Alexandrine 250
Barraband's 140
Bourke's 50
Budgerigar 25-60
Canary-winged 70
Crimson Rosella 145
Derbyan 320
Golden-manteled 100
Grey-cheeked 45-60
Moustache 110-140
Plum-headed 90
Quaker or Monk 90-150
Red-rumped 60

Might want to check your scales!! Could you post a pic of her? Are you sure she is an Indian Ringneck?

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

lol .. Donna .. I was just going to say

"You sure you baby aint trying to grow into an alexandrine?"

Sorry :oops: I'll be serious I know you are genuinly concerned.

Like donna says, check the scales are centered at 0 before you weigh, and do a re weigh ! See what you come up with ;)
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

MGA828

Post by MGA828 »

I just re-weighed her a couple of times on 2 different scales, a regular and digital. Both came out with 142g.

I am pretty sure she is Indian and now Alex, at least that's what she looks like to me and I bought her as Indian. Though there could have been a mistake somewhere.

Here are a few pictures of her - please tell me what you think about her weight and if she is Indian or Alex.

Here is when I first got her at 128g.

and this was taken just yesterday at 142g.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Yep she looks like an IRN!! Second pic she does look kinda plump but don't tell her :wink: Does she fly? Honestly I don't think she could get that bubble but off the ground. Just kidding she looks fine :D and healthy.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:shock: She looks good! I wish I looked that good for my weight! :lol: Now seriously, maybe your vet can help you with a weight reduction diet? I know my vet has some diet plans for overweight birds.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

yep definately indian ringneck, if you had a lutino alex I would be putting insurance on her .. lol .. coz she would be like a one off.

She looks just fine to me.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

This reminds me... the Yellow one I kept for a bit was BY FAR the largest ringneck I had/have ever seen.

Ever!

He was literally three times bigger in bone structure and weight than Baby... or again... any other ringneck I have ever seen... ever. :lol:

Maybe its a Lutino thing?
~ Mikaela Sky

MGA828

Post by MGA828 »

She does eat a whole lot more then my other birds and I wouldn't really call her a big eater or a pig either, however her weight at 142g is out of the range of average IRN's.

She doesn't at all seem fat to me either - today my mother saw her which she hasn't seen her for about 2 weeks or so and said to me that she though she was getting bigger - not fat, but growing. Maybe she is just a larger IRN then normal and will just weigh more. Does she look larger then normal? She is only 5 months and obviously still growing.