35 Day Old Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

ShaniDr89

35 Day Old Ringneck

Post by ShaniDr89 »

Good Afternoon,

Can i start Introducing Fruits and Veggies to My 35 Day old Ringneck?

Regards,
Shani
sanjays mummi

Re: 35 Day Old Ringneck

Post by sanjays mummi »

You could try, but they would need to be soft, I got Sanjay at two months old, and there were some which were too tough for his little beak.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Shani

As sanjays mummi pointed out whatever you offer him at this stage have to be very soft. It will have to be more or less the consistency of the formula I'm assuming he is still fed on. When weaning a bird what I used to do is mix a few grains of Budgie seed with their formula (to get them accustomed to the new taste and texture) when I notice they are less eager for the formula (it's a fine balancing act at that stage but after a few birds you get a feel for when the ''right'' time is to introduce seeds or fruits and vegetables. If things go according to schedule your formula feedings should drop away fairly quickly at that point and it's a good idea to leave some seeds/fruits/vegetables (but not a lot) for them to sample in their food-dishes. Once you see them eating their fill from the selection of seed/fruit/vegetables you are offering your part in feeding them is over....and that can be quite a mixed bag of emotions: from the jubilation of a job well done (especially if it was a bird that somehow captured your heart) to sadness that the long, messy feeding seasons are now over.

What I would recommend you do with fruits and vegetables is to pulverize it in much the same way you mash potatoes and to about the same consistency. Make very sure not to add salt or an other spices to the bird's fruits and vegetables (their bodies can't cope with it like ours and it might lead to health-issues down the line).
ShaniDr89

Post by ShaniDr89 »

Thank you SO Very Much.

My Baby's name is Richie, He is the cutest little feathered Angel, and already have one huge personality....

I will definitely try your Advice. Can i try to give him like fine grated apple or pears? or would that still be to rough for him to eat?

I would also like to know if it is wise to put him in a cage yet ? He will obviously be allowed to come out when we are around, its just he is very nosy (he he he) so he tries his very best to get out off his Baby bed and i am scared that he will get hurt.

Thank you so much for the advice.
Melika

Post by Melika »

ShaniDr89 wrote:Thank you SO Very Much.

My Baby's name is Richie, He is the cutest little feathered Angel, and already have one huge personality....

I will definitely try your Advice. Can i try to give him like fine grated apple or pears? or would that still be to rough for him to eat?

I would also like to know if it is wise to put him in a cage yet ? He will obviously be allowed to come out when we are around, its just he is very nosy (he he he) so he tries his very best to get out off his Baby bed and i am scared that he will get hurt.

Thank you so much for the advice.
You would want to give veggies instead- especially at first. Soft veggies like cucumber, squash (pumpkin, zucchini), cooked mashed sweet potato, etc. Chop up into tiny bits or mash and you can feed from your fingers. You can also leave a shallow dish of these foods with him. If he's nibbling on foods in a dish, you can also include a sprig of millet which will help him develop good dexterity with his beak.

Fruits might be too high in sugar and create an imbalance while hand-feeding (you want more concentrated nutrients in this stage) Greens can make the food digest more quickly- so be aware of that since you might have to feed earlier than normal (depends on your bird).

It's usually best to start off with a smaller cage until he can perch and climb well. Otherwise he could climb up and fall in a larger cage, which can end badly.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ShaniDr89

Post by ShaniDr89 »

Thank you so Much Melika,

I really appreciate your advice ....

I will Definitely try the soft veggies at first.

Are they allowed Bananas? ( just want to make sure for when i start introducing him to Fruits Later on?)
Melika

Post by Melika »

ShaniDr89 wrote:Thank you so Much Melika,

I really appreciate your advice ....

I will Definitely try the soft veggies at first.

Are they allowed Bananas? ( just want to make sure for when i start introducing him to Fruits Later on?)
Of course. Any of the foods allowed for adult birds can be fed to young ones. I just like making sure they get a taste for the veggies, since those will be healthier. Most fruit in stores today is bred to be sweeter than the wild types, and therefore have more sugar than nutrition (they aren't devoid of nutrition, just have less value). In the wild, the fruits birds/animals eat are much healthier!

When he is eating food on his own from a dish, start introducing everything (a few things at a time). There's great info on abundance weaning out there on the net. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ShaniDr89

Post by ShaniDr89 »

Thank you .....
:)