Worried I bought a cage that is too small

Moderator: Mods

Ohana

Worried I bought a cage that is too small

Post by Ohana »

I am worried that the cage I purchased is too small for Mojito and wanting some opinions.

It is a Kings Cage that is a scalloped top. The top opens to a play gym. I think the dimensions are 22 in. W x 17 in. D x 63 in. H...

Here is the link to the cage: http://www.kingscages.com/shop/view_pro ... 2217&page=

It is what I could afford for right now. She looks fine and happy, I guess I just think it might be too small because it sits near Pistachio's cage which is 24x24x63. So that may throw me off.

Any thoughts?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Well the bigger the cage the better. It sounds plenty tall enough , maybe a little small in the width depth department, but so long as s/he can turn without hitting his/her tail, and is outside for play ontop and away from the cage it sounds just fine for now.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Yes, she can turn around without hitting her tail and it is plenty tall enough. I guess I just feel bad because Pistachio is in a bigger cage.

But what you are really saying is it is too small.

Well, I will see how she does in it over the weekend and if it is too small for her then I will just swap cages and put her in Pistachio's cage.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Looks small from the birds on the cage.

However we really do spoil our birds. Until researching what the US recommends for their small parrots, I thought a medium sized cage (70cm high and 40 cm square) was adequate for a handreared bird.

We should look at cages as a house. You need the kitchen and bedroom and play area (no toilet as we know birds do not use a bathroom!). So in a cage you want room for him to move and play and swing upside down and run (well, twaddle really fast!).

The bird should be 10 per cent of the cage, with 70 per cent toys and 20 percent spare room.

What I do is imagine my bird in the cage, as a box in the corner.

Most cages are =the biggest thing is the bird (be it a budgie) that takes up most of the room.

Actually your bird should make up a spec in the cage, with toys the "main feature" . We know the bird is of course, but imagine this. Imagine the bird is just part of the cage. Toys and room is another part. And food! The bird should never make up the majority of a cage.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

We would probably all like bigger cages for our babies but that one is most certainly humane... big enough. And when time permits, you can always sell and move up. They really dont need that much room. They do need larger cages than most smaller birds but I know my Baby prefers his 'Baby cage' over his bigger... very expensive... huge cage.

I dont know if he prefers it because of size or because it was his baby cage but he likes it much better.

I looked at all the specs and youre good there. The bar spacing is the most important factor and yours is smaller than the MAX. .5 inch wide.

Its fine! Cute even! :D
~ Mikaela Sky

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

ive read your spacing and agree. However my cage is One inch and housing an IRN for years and he can't fit his head through. Most other forums agree one inch is okay.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Thank you everyone for your comments. After seeing what life will be like in this cage I have decided that it is just fine for now.

The birds spent from 630 am to 500 pm out and about on their cages and play gyms. Sunday was close, from 1200 pm until about 630 pm out or on.

During the week I open cages when I come home for lunch... I open cages when I get home from work 330 pm until 830 pm. Usually the birds go to "bed" right before night falls and I just close up the cages and they go to sleep.

Mojito had fun running around and playing on her cage. She respected the floor when the dogs were in and when the dogs were out she attempted to explore more off her cage as well. So I rolled the play gym over for her to play around on and she enjoyed that. So I will have to find another play gym, because Pistachio was very upset that Mojito was getting the big play gym... Silly little birds.

So here are some pics of Mojito playing around on the cage. (yes, I took procautions with the top of the cage and reinforced it so the top couldn't fall in.

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Nice set-up! Youre a good mommie, youre doing great!
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Looks like a great cage to me...the set up is good. Just watch that open top...many a bird has gotten caught because the perch fell out. Keep an eye on it...most of us who have open top cages don't bother using the 'top'...waaay too bad things can happen :shock:

Dani
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

yes now that ive seen the pic, it looks great! no worries there!
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Yes, I know about the open top, I have heard some horror stories about it. I have the top reinforced to stay open with bungie cords in the back. Thank you for the warning.

Yes, I think she is happy with it as well and this is great! She has enjoyed playing all over it! It is really cute to watch her explore and have fun.
greeny

Post by greeny »

I love your cage - think it looks great.

I notice what looks like a water bottle hanging on the side. Does your bird drink from a water bottle? I am thinking I might like to use that for one of my birds who throws all his food right into his water!

Does your bird drink readily from the water bottle?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I like the cage. Set up is great! The cage is fine. :D Of course as Angie said, the bigger the better. But it all depends on how much you want to spend. My little Yoda needs an upgrade. Hes constantly trying to steal Jibbys which is bigger. Its Jibs 4th cage in 7 years. But unfortunately we can't afford another cage right now. So Yoda will have to wait. Your a good parront! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Sorry I haven't posted in so long... Been busy

Yes, both my birds drink from water bottles. It is easy to train them, just set the water bottle close to their favorite perch. When you notice them playing with it frequently try removing the water dish just for a little while and see if they go to the bottle to drink.

I still put a water dish in the cage for them to bathe in.