Grit

Moderator: Mods

Klaatu

Grit

Post by Klaatu »

:?: I am wondering why this is not discussed on any thread here? As birds have no teeth the grit in their craws act as teeth. I have only had Klaatu for 3 months and know that once they eat stone or grit it pretty much stays in their craws until it wears out. I never knew if he had been fed grit so I bought some today and added it to his mash. He totally devoured all of it. I'm wondering what would happen if a domestic bird was raised without grit what would be the consiquences? Do all of you provide grit on a regular basis? How about oyster shell and charcoal?
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
birdymomma

Post by birdymomma »

my vet said that only birds such as budgies, canaries you know smaller birds needed grit so i don't feed mine grit
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:?: A IRN is only 1 step above a budgie? I know all birds pick up stones and store them in their craws. It grinds the food in place of teeth. Hummmm. I also am reading in a IRN breeding book that " calcium and grit "can" be added". Can be added and should be added are 2 different things. Anyone else have an opinion on this? I know Klaatu swooped on the opportunity to eat grit.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Grit is used to help digest seed hulls/husks. Parrots take the husk off the seed, so they don't really need it and it can harm their tummies. Where as others such as doves, pigeons, canarys, chickens.. don't hull seeds so feeding them grit is good.

I do not feed mine grit. As I don't believe they need it. Some people also line the bottom on cages with grit. But its messy. Newspaper is much easier to clean up. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Donna

Post by Donna »

Parrot type birds do not need grit. Grit can cause crop impaction and the bird will be unable to digest food properly and can lead to death. And as far as a domesticated parrot there is no such thing. Their all wild birds.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

budgies don't need grit either.

its a great marketing campaign if your a seller of grit, to also market to parrots.

Imagine swallowing a bunch of rocks.. that sit in your belly, and won't come out. Without being poo'd out, it can cause WAY too many problems.

oyster shell is.. for chickens for calcium... If you have a cuttle bone, you don't need Oysters.

and he probably ate it cause you made it into a mash for him with his food, right?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep , parrots/parakeets (hooked beak birds) hull their seeds and therefore do not need grit in their diet, infact it is harmful to them to have it, it can irritate the crop and cause all kinds of complications and infections.

Also if you feed seed choose a seed that has no shell grit.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:?: I'm wondering why Phil Robson author of the IRN Breeder's hand book says you "may" provide it if it is harmful?
Donna

Post by Donna »

First you have to look at what year this book was copy written. Aviculturist have come a long way in the last 7 to 10 years and what might have been ok back then their finding out it's not such a good idea. This also pertain to the way they handled behavior problems back then to what is appropriate today. We never stop learning!

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) OK, I just found the definitive answer! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=120 So I'm taking away Klaatu's grit.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Thanks everybody!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

:D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

you can give some egg shell and dry vegetable pasta which act as grit when bitten but are digestible
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

:? Hmmmmmm..... I wonder if Klaatu would eat dried pasta. He won't eat cooked macaroni but loves the small alpha bets when cooked with beans and rice.