What brand of pellets do you feed your IRN?

Moderator: Mods

MGA828

What brand of pellets do you feed your IRN?

Post by MGA828 »

I am interested to know what brand of pellets everyone is giving there IRN and what is the best out there and what to stay away from. Kaytee? Roudybush? Zupreem? Lafeber? Or something else? Also, what do your IRN's seems to like the best? Do your feed the natural or fruitblend?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Not a pellet person so I can't help you there sorry!

NEXT !!

:wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

cookie has roudybush and loves it, but he has fresh fruit and vege every day and also gets seed every couple days
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I use an Australian brand. Passwells. I've also tried Vetafarm which was recommended by the avian vet. We are just 'trialling' some different ones to see how we go. I am undecided on pellets.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

I use Zupreem -- mostly fruit blend, some garden....is it garden goodness... the one with the peppers. The tiels and IRN like it, so I stopped checking brands while I was ahead. Of course they disagree about the banana shapes -- one cage of tiels won't eat those and the other won't eat the red ones. My little piggie IRN will eat all of them! Go figure
MCS
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: We started off with Vetafarm. They seem to like that. But I got Passwells because my 2 are fussy with colours and Passwells is not coloured. They look like chook pellets! We might try Zupreem next as I've seen it around. Not much choice down here in Aussieland. :(
MGA828

Post by MGA828 »

catschair2 wrote:I use Zupreem -- mostly fruit blend, some garden....is it garden goodness... the one with the peppers. The tiels and IRN like it, so I stopped checking brands while I was ahead. Of course they disagree about the banana shapes -- one cage of tiels won't eat those and the other won't eat the red ones. My little piggie IRN will eat all of them! Go figure

That is very interesting about the Banana shaped pellets beacuse both of my 2 Tiels never eat those, however my Brown headed Parrot will only the them. I now have my Brown head on the nautral as she likes them much better.

I would like to get my IRN also on Zupreem because I really like that brand and feel it is a very good brand, however at this moment he won't touch it. He was just weaned and he was weaned onto Kaytee pellets which I don't like because I have read some bad things about it and he will only eat those right now. I am hoping that maybe he is just young and used to them and after a little while will start to eat the Zupreem. *Fingers crossed*
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

Harrisons--because it is organic, no dyes, and I have had sucess with it with all of my birds over a long period of time...my IRN also gets veggies, fruuits, and 1-2x a week, seeds. But, the primary diet is Harrisons adult fine, lifetime normally but high potentcy during molts.
Ohana

Post by Ohana »

Roudy Bush and Zupreem natural. They get Zupreem Fall Harvest or something like that as a treat. Fresh foods and seed as a treat.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

I, honestly, don't remember what the previous owner told me that those little brown, round pellets that my IRN's are on, and since Zupreem is easier for me to get, they'll be converting over when the HUGE bag she gave me is gone.

They also get fruits and veggies. Probably a few too many strawberries though.

If you want to see results with Zupreem,
Thats a Santa Cruz conure, raised on the fruit blend Zupreem. Her favorites changed month to month. Usually it was the purple gone first, the green and orange gone last. I didn't feed her enough at a time for her to be picky!

Only thing I found wrong, was the colored poo! ewwww....

just figured out how to resize pictures, yae! ANYWAY, as a side note.. if anyone in the US knows where to purchase a pair of those, E-MAIL ME IMMEDIATELY!!!
Sylvia

Post by Sylvia »

Most of my birds have seed and fresh veggies and spouts.

But I have one IRN who eats pellet and he likes Hagen the most, but i use to mix it with Kaytee.

He also have fresh food and seeds.

First he takes all fresh food, then he take pellets and if nothing else is left he takes some seed but just a little. Cute healthy little boy I have.
Please have some patience with my spelling, I´m from sweden and english is not my first language!
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Lauren wrote::lol: We started off with Vetafarm. They seem to like that. But I got Passwells because my 2 are fussy with colours and Passwells is not coloured. They look like chook pellets! We might try Zupreem next as I've seen it around. Not much choice down here in Aussieland. :(

Let me know where you get Zupreem from please.

I've been giving Sunny Passwells but he turns his nose up at them. I've got Vetafarm at the moment but he looks at me in disgust with those as well.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'll have a look around. I might of seen them at a few pet shops around here. (south east melb) The avian vet I go to sells a few different types of pellets too.

This is the vet I went to.. hes great, well known and has even been on tv.

http://www.auspigeonco.com.au/
greeny

Post by greeny »

The only one I have succes with is Harrison's. It is good food because it is organic with no dyes in it. But it is very expensive! Right now they are eating the Pepper Coarse, which are quite large squares flavored with cayenne pepper. This is to help convert them. They were on a seed diet, with fruits and veggies of course, but I wanted them to go to pellets and this was the only one they would take.

Spoiled things, they would like only the expensive one! I buy it from my vet and they also have a website.
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

footnote..... have had the fids on the fruit flavor Zupreem with Harvest Goodness (or something like that) as a treat. Got them the Wild & Spicy and the tiels are inhaling the stuff. My IRN seems to like all the flavors the same, but may have to go get a 25 lb bag for the tiels (and not let them kiss me after eating those peppers!!)
MCS
Ed Loschi

Harrisons adult lifetime coarse

Post by Ed Loschi »

We started using Harrisons adult lifetime coarse. The fids really like it and we go by Harrisons feeding and supplements directions.
Oh and seasonal fruits and veggies and sometimes seeds.
Jim

Post by Jim »

I feed my three IRN's as follows:

2 teaspoons Harrison's high potency fine
1 piece Harrison's Power Treats
1/2 teaspoon of either squash, sweet potato, broccoli, peach, papaya or mango

They like the high potency coarse too but I found that too much of it got wasted on the bottom of the cage.

They are all less than a year old and will be switched to an equivalent amount of Harrison's lifetime fine when they're a year old and then back to high potency for breeding or for a rough molt.

I experimented with a few different brands but settled on Harrison's because a.) the birds seem to like it best b.) it has a lower Vitamin A concentration than other pellets and there are anecdotal accounts of Hypervitaminosis A in some species fed other brands of pellets and c.) they use primarily organic ingredients.

Jim
AndiIRN

Re: What brand of pellets do you feed your IRN?

Post by AndiIRN »

I use kaytee large parrot pellets for my IRN's, they like the bigger pallets so they can pick them up with their feet, they just turn the small pellets to powder and not eat them, I also feed them gold-N-fruit Apple and honey, they really like that, as well as fruit and vegies, I don't feed much in the way of seed, just sprouted seed about every 3 to 4 days. Seed has a high fat content (hence why it'd used to make oil) I feed a large seed bell once a month as a treet (think of seed to birds as McDonald's to humans)
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Fats used to eat the fruity zupreem... but he hated the purple, then he hated to the orange too, then he also hated the green...
Camo the QP eats Roudybush and likes it quite a alot, so in the in the interest of having only one pellet type Fats now gets Roudybush. I prefer something without artificial colors anyway.

We are buying 25 pound bags of it now that we have the eclectus parrots.
Juicy

Re:

Post by Juicy »

kyria wrote:Not a pellet person so I can't help you there sorry!

NEXT !!

:wink:
Hi Kyria!
May I ask why you are against pellets? I had the same opinion as I always like to think it is more beneficial to fill up with natural goodies (e.g. fruit and veg) than other things but on my recent Vet visit, the avian recommended (and looked at me as if I was mad for not feeding pellets) that I should mix pellets into my Jacksons food. I am new to owning an IRN and would appreciate your opinion... Thanks :-)
Melika

Re: Re:

Post by Melika »

Juicy wrote:
Hi Kyria!
May I ask why you are against pellets? I had the same opinion as I always like to think it is more beneficial to fill up with natural goodies (e.g. fruit and veg) than other things but on my recent Vet visit, the avian recommended (and looked at me as if I was mad for not feeding pellets) that I should mix pellets into my Jacksons food. I am new to owning an IRN and would appreciate your opinion... Thanks :-)
Sorry, this is an old topic and unfortunately Kyria hasn't been online here for a year or so. This is a good issue though and has been discussed quite a bit (on bird forums everywhere). No one really comes to agreement on this matter. There's also a third school of thought: feed pellets as a part of the diet to fill in any 'gaps'. I cannot answer for Kyria though. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Rick mcfegan

Post by Rick mcfegan »

Hi .

I tend to feed our IRN Harrison adult lifetime pellet formula as a side dish to his main diet .

Generally he eats in the morning a mix of oats, grains and a sub 15% seed mix . Lunchtime we tend to go for vegetables ( peas, cabbage, occasional peppers
, carrots ) evening he goes for small ammounts of fruit

Personally Im a fan of pellets it's a good addition to a balanced diet .

We also have budgies and a tiel and they love the ultra fine pellets ( plus they give a good boost during heavy molts)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I tried Sanjay on pellets, but he didn't and wouldn't touch them, they're not cheap either!, so he gets mostly fruit and veg, with an occasional seed bar as a treat, he also likes figs, fresh, and out of season, the dried ones from the health food shop. From my experience, he is most definitely a fresh seed eater, he loves chilli and bell peppers for this reason, and fruits with seeds, ie blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and gooseberries. If I give him a parrot mix containing pellets he chucks them out of the bowl!
JASPER IRN

Post by JASPER IRN »

vetafarm nutriblend pellets!
cheryljones

Post by cheryljones »

Hi I use vetafarm, my IRN seems to enjoy them.