Any yummy recipes?

Moderator: Mods

TropicalAussie

Any yummy recipes?

Post by TropicalAussie »

Hey people,

Does anyone have a good daily recipe that their IRN's just cant resist? i'm looking for a grain and vegie mix that I can give to Iago daily. I've tried a couple of recipes with pasta, cous cous, corn flakes etc but he only nibbles at them. I want something he loves so much that he looks a little like Gandalf in those gorgeous pics in the Photo forum.

I don't want to have to go out and buy ten different special things expecially for it. I would prefer to use things that I would already have and only have to buy one or two things from the shops to complete it.

I would love to try one of the premix 'homemade' foods that you can get, just 'add water and cook' sort of things, but I can't find any in Darwin.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

The biggest hit with my birdys has been my spicy punkin cinnamin honey bickies.

I dont do much cooking. In fact I hate cooking. But I attempted to make something for the fids.

I just mashed up pumpkin (with seeds), cinnamon, grated carrot, honey, oats, a little flour and egg into lil bickie balls and baked it for about an hour.

My fids went NUTS over them! Jibs even licked the bowl. This was the first time hes eaten pumpkin! Lol

Im trying to add to my mixture. Might try putting some nuts in it. Not bad for someone who doesn't cook. I even ate some.

I used half a butter pumpkin. This made enough bickies to last a couple of weeks frozen.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
TropicalAussie

Post by TropicalAussie »

That sounds yummy.
I like cooking and my other half is always so crest fallen when he sees me cooking and I inform him that it's not a yummy cake for him but for the birds.

I'll have to give your pumpkin balls a go on the weekend
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

hey, good post. I’ll feed Archimedes mashed warm pumpkin, when its in season, with cooked rice and lentils. I know it sounds funny but he just devours that!

Hope that helps and it’s simple enough
:wink:

Imran Chaudhry
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'm thinking of using all the wasted pellet crumbs in their bowls to maybe bake a special cake or bickies for the fids. Does anyone think this is ok? Can you cook pellets? They eat their pellets but they leave powdered pellets behind in the bowl and I thought its such a waste. Not as much as seed but I was thinking maybe I could do something with it. Just a thought.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

actually that is a way some get their fids to eat pellets! They are safe to use for baking

Dani
TropicalAussie

Post by TropicalAussie »

That's a good idea. I can't find any pellets for my fids in Darwin, I wish I could but Iago and Zorro both really love their seeds and it would be hard to switch them over.