open perch or cage?

Moderator: Mods

ptagle

open perch or cage?

Post by ptagle »

which is much better, an open perch or a cage? i recently switched my fid from a cage to a perch but I don't see many bird owners do that. i already set aside the cage and just leave my fid on it's own the whole day. I had it's wings clipped so I'm assuming he won't get around much. I left him inside the room and peeped inside he's not leaving his perch! Is it ok to do this when we're all out of the house almost the whole day?
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

I leave my fids in the cages when i'm not at home, makes me feel better and i know they are safer, especially since i need to get lou's wings clipped.
~the stubborn one~
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I do the same. Caged when Im out. Makes me feel better knowing they are just a lil safer. But they are out when Im home. Which is most of the day. At night now I leave Gilberts cage open because sometimes he just wants to sleep somewhere else. And if I lock him in the cage, he makes a fuss and takes a long time to get to sleep. I think its up to the bird. But try to get them to sleep in the cage or when your out.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

No cages here.
~ Mikaela Sky

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Mine are in cages when I am out, since the kitties are not. Also would not bet the house is completely fid or kid proof if I were to give them long enough to play.
MCS
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Mine stay on their stands or I wouldnt have the patience for this 'bird ****'.

Nah uh. They stay where I put them or they, as babies, went back and back and back until it got to be too much work to get down off the stand JUST to be replaced as soon as their talons hit the ground. :evil:
~ Mikaela Sky

ptagle

Post by ptagle »

i don't think it moves a bit! whatever position i leave him, that's exactly where he is when i come back! It even has a favorite spot on his perch and won't even try to walk around a bit. is this normal or is my fid just too lazy? i don't think it's sick coz eats well and moves fast if i try to play with him.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Buddy never moves. Baby never sits.
~ Mikaela Sky

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I cant leave my 2 alone for 2 minutes. They are always getting up to naughty things. Chewing on flyscreens, pulling clothes off my line so they can chew on the line, sneeking around the kitchen so they can chew through the plastic on the bread to get to the loaf inside even though theyve got a bowl full of vegies! They love to run around on the carpet and play hide and seek under the table. If im not back in 2 minutes. Gilbert will come find me. I wish mine would just sit and chew on there toys like they are meant to! :roll: My mum reckons my children will be just like this. Please dont tell me thats true!
How do you get them to just sit?
coz

Post by coz »

Penny sits up on the top of her cage with the perch, all day long, if I let her! Theres no toys there, wouldnt she get bored. I was told they need lots of play. but sitting on a perch seems boring?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

They do need lots of toys and play time. Thats if your bird wants to! Every bird has a different personality. Gilbert, will only play with his bell, not very adventurous and doesnt like many other toys (his latest trick, is to drag his bell around the floor while Yoda follows), Yoda on the other hand, explores everywhere and chews and plays with anything he can find. :roll: