$30
11%
$30 or higher
No votes

Total votes: 9

Kateykat

Fruit and Veg grocery list

Post by Kateykat »

I am doing my fids food shop tomorrow and was curious about how much others spend on their fids food? Pellets always cost a fortune but last me about 6 weeks (that's going on how long it takes for my four tiels to go through a kg bag of pellets).
I buy:
one bag of pasta shells each week and a small tin of tomato chunks, which they go mad for. Fresh fruit and veg is the real killer. I buy them snow peas, broccoli,yellow beans (not sure on the proper name for them but their yellow) red and yellow capsicum, golden squash, carrots, apples, 2 pomegranates (cause I think Ollie would kill me if she didn't get some at least 4 times a week), sliverbeet or spinach, parsley, sometimes watercress, hot hot peppers, a mango, lots of corn (some to cut up and others to leave in the purse for them to chew through), grapes, some weeks a paw paw (am thinking about getting dried paw paw? anyone tried it?) cherries and sweet potato cause they like it roasted.
All this costs about $30 and lasts them just under a week, because I change their fruit about 3 times a day (its super hot here atmo and I don't want them to somehow get sick if the fruit goes bad from the heat). I precut all this up and mix it in a big plastic container and fridge it. The pasta I cook up every 2 days and give to them cold (I have to take it out after 30 mins or so cause I'm not sure how long room temp pasta will last) with some chopped tomato through it.
Does this seem like alot to anyone or is it normal? Lol please tell me I'm normal hehee :oops: :oops:
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

we spend roughly about 10-15 a week on the fids, but in an attempt to cut back on the prices of some of the 'fresh greens' ive started sprouting some of their seeds and let them eat the sprouts off the plate
heres a few pics after about 2-3 days of sprouting

all it is is a plate of cottonwool, a handful of seeds over the top, a few more cotton balls on top, and some water, take the top layer of cotton balls off the next day and when theyre a bit bigger (b4 the leaves develop though, i read thats when they get bitter) just take the plate in and let the fids pick their own freshest greens :D
Last edited by ambros1a on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

are we converting to US or Aus or Canadian dollars? We share a language but not a currency :wink:
MCS
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Humans -giggle- we can be so close-minded.

I assumed American dollar, I suppose I should have looked at where the poster was from.

Good eye CatsChair!

Those damned Aussies on ebay will get you every time! Item. 1.99, shipping. 125,272.92. Hehe

Pretty sneaky, got me must admit, once. I will never make that mistake again and paypal handled that bullshit transaction. I wasnt getting snooked liked dat... nah uh. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

I used to get myself in trouble traveling cuz all those pretty colors did not seem like "real" money! I usually have a pretty good idea on the euro, pound sterling and Canadian dollar, but don't do that much business with Aus, so have to look it up (would love to do more, just that pesky distance issue). Think Aus is about $1.25/USD, Can about 1.20/USD , Euro .75/USC, and UK pd .50/USD. I was just thinking I was a bad bird mom cuz I fell pretty low on the range and have a million birds. Of course, when I saw the shopping list I decided to come back as an Aussie pet fid!
MCS
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

lol lemme clear up a lil on the prices, i just did a conversion, on latest exchange rates
$1US will get you $1.28143 AUD
$1AU will get us $0.780236 USD

so.. that might help a little.
i realised when i did my quick calc this morning, i left out some things haha, but i was pretty close only a few dollars off (forgettin the bags of bird seed coz 1 1k bag lasts roughly a month) but we make sure they have plenty there as well as diff fruits + vegies left daily when we goto work
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

Aww you guys have to go and get me all confused now don't ya?
Let's work it as however you want. Either Aussie or US. I don't understand currency conversion lol
Kate
Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
Kateykat

Post by Kateykat »

come on everyone don't be shy :oops:
Kate
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

How do we do the Pasta boil and the let cool surely not straight from the bag, I asked my local veg man for a pommegranite (end of season) so they will have to wait, seedless grapes, fruit sticks, monkey nuts, corn on cob still trying different things, also what about the ENGLISH £ POUND
surferdon

Post by surferdon »

I actually only spend money on bird pellets, and find i spend the most on toys. My birds just eat what I eat, so since it is for me I dont spend really any extra, since my fids only like a little of each thing and then become uninterested!!! Just no chocolate or avacados!!! also hibiscus flowers as well as dandy lions prove to be a great treat. Also Pine cones, which are lightly toasted in the oven with a bit of salt, my fids go nuts for
Bird crazy

Aus $ vs US $ vs UK #

Post by Bird crazy »

Not sure that I spend all that much on the fids by themselves either.
Hubby and I eat lots of fresh veggies and fruit and they get what we eat.
I usually fix them thier own in the am, fresh veggies and fruit cut up or on a kabob but the only think I buy just for them is sugar snap peas at about $3.50 for 8 oz and bags of frozen mixed veggies at about $2.00 and then the pellets/seed mix/nutriberries. I do end up buying about a bag of nutriberries every two weeks and it's about $6.00 a bag.

So all in all just on the fids I'd say maybe $5-10 US dollars/week or $7-12
Aus or UK 2.50 to 7.50.

But I might add that I spend a bunch on toys also. I am forever finding something for them to play with :D
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

I'm not sure, i buy assorted fruits and veggies and they get what i buy. I don't really have the budget but i'm sure lou wouldn't complain! It just gets calculated into what i buy.
~the stubborn one~
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Don't feel unloved, DeeDee, I did mention pound sterling, but since it was not yet 6 AM, I could not remember the ASCII code for the symbol -- think I was close on the exchange though :P
MCS
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

Everything is fine I come here to Pick you brains for the Birds, I hope everything I learn I will be able to put into practice for the Birds well being, Happy Birds happy Parents